shelf paper

mazdacrzy

Chirping
14 Years
Dec 16, 2008
Winder, Georgia
Hey I am new to the chicken world (and this Forum). After reading a few posts I built a slightly modifyed Miss Prissy incubator, and I have a question about when I put down the non-slip shelf liner over the hardware cloth. Do I put it down before I put the eggs in or do I wait until day 18? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The shelf liner is to keep the chicks' legs from sliding out from under them, thus causing spraddle leg. It doesn't really matter, I don't think, when you put it in there. Most people do when they stop turning them on day 18, but whenever is fine.

Forgot to add...
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Welcome!!!! Glad you have joined!
clap.gif
clap.gif

Shelleyd is right about the newly hatched chicks. Also, those little eggs will begin rocking around when they begin to peep and the newly hatched will be shaky on their feet knocking into the other eggs. The shelf liner prevents all of this. If you have already begun the incubation then day 18 would be fine, but if not then try it before you start the incubation so there will be less time with the lid off (hence temp. changes). I also would make sure to use a clean shelf liner every hatching to prevent bacteria growth. Have fun and let us know how it works.
jumpy.gif

Thanks for all the info!!! My eggs should arrive at the end of this week or the beginning of next. Wanted to make sure everything is right when they get here.

welcome-byc.gif

I put the non slip stuff in on day 1 and set the eggs on it, Just easier that way than to take all the eggs out on day 18 to put it down !! JMO !!

Back
Top Bottom