Shell-less egg question

Pollo Posada

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Mount Airy, MD
Hey everyone. Yesterday I only found 1 egg and 2 shell-less eggs. Today I found 3 shell-less eggs. What is going on???

My girls are still pullets and only started laying eggs on April 1st. Is it normal to regress like this?

They are free-range chickens during the day, are on layer rations and cracked corn, have access to food and water all day long.

They do not seem sick or anything. But, I am freaking out a bit. I have no useable eggs!!! What can I do? Is there something wrong here or is this normal with younger chickens?

Please help me wiser chicken gurus! I am very upset about this!
sad.png

They are commonly produced by pullets coming into lay, particularly by birds that have matured early.

Should resolve by 1-2 weeks as long as they are on an adequate diet (which it sounds like they are).

frow.gif
don't feel bad, i'm in the same boat. Look up my forum Help!! Soft shell//No yolk eggs!! I'm hoping the
old.gif
wonderful gurus here will help me as well. Just know that you are not alone!!

Yes our chickens had several like that at first too, I believe it is normal. It is kind of weird they started to form and then stopped. I stopped seeing any after the first month of laying.

Yes, I do put out oyster shell for them. I put some out there for them to access every other day or so.

Thanks, everyone, I feel better now. I was getting such beautiful pink and green eggs for the last week and so when I saw this, I freaked out a bit!

I did find one mashed in the box. I am hoping it was stepped on and not tasted! I quickly cleaned it up and scrubbed out the box. I don't need egg-eating on top of this!

I had this issue too in February - my girls had been laying and then a rash of shell-less eggs began, and I was freely offering oyster shell at the time. Someone suggested to me that there might be a vitamen deficiency creating a problem with absorbing the calcium, and they suggested Avia 2000 Charge, a vitamen you mix in their water. I got some and have been giving it to my chickens. I saw improvement almost immediately, and I haven't had a shell-less egg in at least a month now. I am also putting ACV in another waterer; I read that this also improves calcium absorption. I got my Avia 2000 Charge from Murray McMurray.

hmm.png
I have had that happen also. But now I have one hen that is laying a real thin shelled egg. So thin that it will break most of the time before I can get to the house.The other 5 hens lay a normal shell egg.
D.gif

Quote:
Just like all people don't absorb nutrients like calcium in the same way, so too for chickens.
If you are already offering oyster shell, you can try putting a vitamin supplement in their water to increase her absorption of the calcium. To properly absorb and utilize calcium you also need vitamin D.
Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom