Shell-less eggs, yolk less eggs, diarrhoea

georgie123

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2020
Good morning 🌟
My bantam hen started laying this week (Tuesday), she has laid an egg around lunch time everyday since. Today she laid before I went down to open up the coop. It’s was a soft-shelled egg, surrounded by LOTS of diarrhoea. It was slightly creased on top, didn’t look punctured but possibly pierced a little as the nesting box was very damp. About an hour later she’s laid another completely shell-less egg this time (just membrane) which was also yolkless she laid this in the run. I managed to take a quick photo of this before the other hens got to it.
She’s had really bad diarrhoea since. Completely liquid and I can actually hear it when she goes to the toilet. I know hens can lay soft shelled eggs at the start of laying, does anyone else have a similar experience? Or should I be concerned it may be something more?
today I have given her some yoghurt, acv in water and made plenty of shell grit available, does anyone have any other tips? Her behaviour seems normal otherwise and comb is nice and red.
Maybe worth noting she recovered from a severe case of cocci about two months ago, it has also been raining here heavily all week, could it be a vitamin D deficiency?
Thanks so much for your time, any help is greatly appreciated!

happy Sunday!
Georgie
(Australia)

Attachments

• A1081DA3-66EA-4D82-9BFA-0B8A54BA6BA6.jpeg
    A1081DA3-66EA-4D82-9BFA-0B8A54BA6BA6.jpeg
    990.8 KB · Views: 27
Is the watery poop mostly clear or is it opaque?

Was there any hint that either of those eggs had been ruptured before they were laid?

Is this hen behaving normally? Or is she acting as if she doesn't feel well?

Is her vent starting to prolapse and is it pulsating?

Yes, there's a possibility that her system is deficient in calcium and vitamin D. But it's curious both of these eggs had absent yolks.

She may have an obstruction in her oviduct. If the "diarrhea" is mostly clear and watery, it lends evidence to there still being an obstruction. I suggest giving people calcium plus D3 each day until this resolves.

Is the watery poop mostly clear or is it opaque?

Was there any hint that either of those eggs had been ruptured before they were laid?

Is this hen behaving normally? Or is she acting as if she doesn't feel well?

Is her vent starting to prolapse and is it pulsating?

Yes, there's a possibility that her system is deficient in calcium and vitamin D. But it's curious both of these eggs had absent yolks.

She may have an obstruction in her oviduct. If the "diarrhea" is mostly clear and watery, it lends evidence to there still being an obstruction. I suggest giving people calcium plus D3 each day until this resolves.

Thankyou! Will start on calcium and d3 right away. She’s a little happier this afternoon, engaging with the other hens. Her vent hasn’t started to prolapse but is pulsating, the diahhrea is indeed clear and watery. Her first egg this morning didn’t seem disturbed but had a large crease on one side and was very damp and empty making me think it had ruptured. Will keep a close eye on her over the day. Thanks again!

If the missing yolk happened to leak out of the rupture in that shell, then it's still inside her. The problem with that scenario is that egg yolk is a prime bacteria growing medium. She should have an oral antibiotic to safeguard her from reproductive tract infection and to safeguard her egg laying career which could be over if she gets infected in there.

The calcium supplement will encourage strong contractions to expel an obstruction. When I have such a patient, I install her in a crate with an absorbent towel under her. This will soak up all that fluid she's losing and you will be able to monitor her poop. Be prepared to change this towel each morning if this condition persists, as it will be sopping wet.

Supply plenty of water because loss of fluids will make her thirsty. She can easily become dehydrated and that can hinder her expelling the obstruction.

When the obstruction clears, you may not see it. But you will see cecal poop which is usually absent when there's an obstruction and magically reappears when it clears.

If the missing yolk happened to leak out of the rupture in that shell, then it's still inside her. The problem with that scenario is that egg yolk is a prime bacteria growing medium. She should have an oral antibiotic to safeguard her from reproductive tract infection and to safeguard her egg laying career which could be over if she gets infected in there.

The calcium supplement will encourage strong contractions to expel an obstruction. When I have such a patient, I install her in a crate with an absorbent towel under her. This will soak up all that fluid she's losing and you will be able to monitor her poop. Be prepared to change this towel each morning if this condition persists, as it will be sopping wet.

Supply plenty of water because loss of fluids will make her thirsty. She can easily become dehydrated and that can hinder her expelling the obstruction.

When the obstruction clears, you may not see it. But you will see cecal poop which is usually absent when there's an obstruction and magically reappears when it clears.

thankyou!I’ve followed all your directions, she’s laid another soft shell this morning that was surrounded by Fecal matter and lots of liquid (egg was intact and had yolk 😊). She’s already sounding like she’s about to lay again- I have some amprolium here would that be an appropriate oral antibiotic to dose her with?

Back
Top Bottom