Shell less eggs

lauren212

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2016
Ontario
Two of my chickens started laying a few weeks ago. I got one egg then nothing for two weeks. Then I was getting an egg every few days - then one day I got two eggs. Now for the last 7 days I get shell less eggs. Every day. Sometimes she lays them during the night while they roost. I feed them organic layer feed and they free range in the afternoons until dark. I just put out oyster shells yesterday for them when ever they want. Is there anything else I can do and will this just correct itself?

I have seen 3 eggs in my coop without shells also. These are my first eggs I have 6 could be egg layers not sure which are doing it either and also while they sleep

If you have any extra egg shells laying around I'd recommend crushing it and feeding it to them . Hens honestly don't tend to eat oyster shells or egg shells unless they want too, you kind of have to make them want to eat it . I find mixing it with sesame seeds or some dried herbs makes them go crazy for it .

Shell less eggs are completely normal for new layers, even if they have adequate calcium. It just means that they need a bit more time to mature and for all parts of the egg production system to start working together consistently.
Again, it is completely normal and in no way indicates a problem. The only thing needed is time and a bit of patience.

Hens honestly don't tend to eat oyster shells or egg shells unless they want too, you kind of have to make them want to eat it . I find mixing it with sesame seeds or some dried herbs makes them go crazy for it .
They eat oyster shell when they need it. And a little bit will last a good, long while. It's best to allow them to self regulate. Too much calcium is really, really bad for their kidneys.

Back
Top Bottom