Shell-less eggs

hillcountrychickens

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 27, 2007
Dripping Springs, TX
Okay. The eggs seem to have thin shell matter. I am now thinking for some reason the eggs are not staying inside while the shell developes. Like their is a weakening of the mustles that hold the egg in...this theory because when I picked her up, her stress expelled an egg. Also, I find these eggs on the floor of the henhouse under where they roost. Now and then one gets into the nest, but not very often.

Does anyone see what I am getting at? Time to hit the library I guess..

Soft shelled eggs are caused by several things with the most likely reason being a lack of calcium.

What are you feeding your birds? If not a formulated layer feed then you need to switch to a layer feed. Also you need to have oyster shell available for them all the time so they can get the calcium they need.

Also add apple cider vinegar to the water at least once a month to help with the absorbtion of calcium and vitamin D3 which is important to making the egg shells.

I have had two eggs laid without the shell. Seems to me for some reason they just skip over the shell process in developement. My girls get plenty of calcium. Of course, if you get lots of soft eggs calcium deficiency may be the problem.
I am wondering if a lack in other minerals or even too much... like too much phospherous can cause a block in calcium obsorbtion like in reptiles. Just a thought.
caf.gif

I have three Americauna hens. Last year they laid beautiful eggs almost daily, two green, one brown. This year, the green eggs have had funny little bumps on the shells, looking sort of like frosting. Sometimes there are little bumps of calcium on the inside too, which I have to pick out of the eggs. But now the "bump" coverage has grown, and sometimes the egg shells are very soft. I give them oyster shell and layena daily, and corn. What's wrong?
Leona

These are the eggs I got yesterday in the heat wave, one in the water bowl and the 2 others in their coop...what the heck? I give Oyster shells, I feed Layer feed...don't know what else to do? It's my 2 brahmas, the other 5 hens are fine...I think they have an internal issue going on..I also get double yokers from them..

Back
Top Bottom