Shelless Eggs....What to do?

andham

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 2, 2013
I have a newly laying flock. They are a few weeks into laying and I believe on of my Barred Rocks is laying only shelless eggs. My chickens have ready access to oyster shell and we feed them back their crushed shells. What gives?

oyster shell,make sure you give them high protein layer feed. lots of calcium. and table scraps. dont worry to bad its common with new layers.

A lot of times it's just a glitch that works itself out as their system gets used to the high production. But, if it's one hen consistently, you might need to seriously reconsider her future.

A lot of times it's just a glitch that works itself out as their system gets used to the high production. But, if it's one hen consistently, you might need to seriously reconsider her future.
maybe but usually this is common with new layers. so i wouldnt worry about getting rid of her too fast she new to this give her some time.but i do agree if she never stops laying sheless eggs than yes get rid of her

Last edited:
maybe but usually this is common with new layers. so i wouldnt worry about getting rid of her too fast she new to this give her some time.but i do agree if she never stops laying sheless eggs than yes get rid of her
I agree. When my khaki's started laying their eggs were soft and very small eggs when started laying. It also happened with my chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom