shelless eggs.... worms? need advice

DutchieWannabe

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 18, 2010
Idaho
My Leghorn, about 5 months old, was laying beautiful eggs for about 3 weeks. She was so proud. now she only lays shell-les eggs, she has plenty of oyster shell available. Most of the day she spends in my yard and garden munching on bugs and grass. she tries to lay still, going in the nest, singing the egg song at her "normal" time, but nothing until evening and out plops the shell-less egg. her poop is watery.... at least i think she is the one with watery poo. Could this be worms? im looking for advice, thanks
hu.gif

also, seems she lost a little weight.... im not 100% sure though

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Watery poop could indicate heat stress/issues and cause shell-less eggs. The heat can cause them to eat less as well. In addition to crushed oyster shell, try adding crushed calcium tablets (powder) and sprinkle it in her feed for a few days. You can buy it at any pharmacy. Make sure she is eating layer feed and not starter feed. I dont think she needs to be wormed. You can also give her plain yogurt or buttermilk (probiotics) with scrambled egg (extra protein) mixed in her feed as a mash and give it to her. New layers tend to get off track sometimes and the yogurt/buttermilk, egg and feed combo should get her back on track.

I also have a couple of chickens that have laid shell-less eggs as well. I got two of them yesterday. I have 18 hens and a couple of them started laying two days ago. I feed my hens yogurt every day and also have oyster shell available to them. I just switched the feed to layer a couple of days ago. I hope that helps.
hmm.png
I will try to check back, let me know how your hens/eggs are doing..

Back
Top Bottom