Sherlock Holmes Chicken Mystery!

wyandottegirl

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 16, 2014
Vancouver Island, BC
Calling all Sherlock Holmes out there...

Today at lunch, when I went down to the chicken run, a dog cage that was just outside the door of the run was covered in thick red blood. One of my hens had been free ranging around and is thankfully alright, as are all of my other birds. The only clue I could find was a talon wedged in one of the slits. I have matched it up with the hen that was out. Her middle toe has now just a bloody stump for a nail. The bottoms of her feet have blood on them too. I have checked her over and there is no blood around her vent or matted into any of her feathers. So, I'm assuming that the blood didn't come from her, as there is way too much to have come just from her toe. She seems unphased, as do my other hens.

Can anyone think of where the blood came from?

Calling all Sherlock Holmes out there...

Today at lunch, when I went down to the chicken run, a dog cage that was just outside the door of the run was covered in thick red blood. One of my hens had been free ranging around and is thankfully alright, as are all of my other birds. The only clue I could find was a talon wedged in one of the slits. I have matched it up with the hen that was out. Her middle toe has now just a bloody stump for a nail. The bottoms of her feet have blood on them too. I have checked her over and there is no blood around her vent or matted into any of her feathers. So, I'm assuming that the blood didn't come from her, as there is way too much to have come just from her toe. She seems unphased, as do my other hens.

Can anyone think of where the blood came from?

Most likely all the blood did come from the foot especially if the nail was pulled off.
smile.png

OK, thanks. The top part of her nail was pulled off. Still trying to figure out how it came off...

That would bleed pretty good.

As to what happened who knows
idunno.gif
I've found that chickens can do some pretty funny things to hurt themselves.

Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. You may want to clean and inspect it every few days. You can just give her foot a soak in some epsom salts bath, then gently clean it off.

Back
Top Bottom