She's Broody Again!!!

Gracefulspice

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Pa
I can't believe she's doing it again.
barnie.gif
It's only been a month since she got over the last episode of being broody. (it was July 9th
he.gif
) Is this something she is going to every month? I thought mabey once or twice a year. It took a week of me moving her constantly off the nest to break her. I hate to do this every month.
th.gif

Same here. Buff Orp has gone broody about 5 times since spring. We put her in a rabbit hutch with food and water for about 5 days and she usually breaks out of it.

We use to move her out of the nest every time we saw her (multiple times a day) but that got old after a whole month and a half of broodiness. Now she gets nothin' but tough love. Pretty soon she's going to get stew pot love!

We actually got so use to fighting her to get to the eggs under her (from the other chickens) that now that she's off the nest it is a breath of fresh air that she isn't sitting on the nest barking at us.

That rabbit hutch thing sounds like a good idea. My neighbor just asked me if I wanted hers. I think I'll take it.
big_smile.png
After the 6 days how did you know it was over? All i've done was move her off the nest and I knew she finally gave up cause she didn't go back and started sleeping on the roost again. It's hard to keep moving her cause I work during the day and if I block off the nest she just makes another one someplace else. It's a shame I'll have to do this, she really is a nice chicken, but wow can she be down right nasty when she's broody. Forget pecking, she will try to stab you with that beak.
hmm.png
Hurts too!!
barnie.gif

Quote:
I thought about that to. But no, I have no way to keep them once they hatch, and no extra place for them to live. Plus hubby would
smack.gif
. Mabey alot of time down the road we can think about the egg thing.

We were so frustrated we just did it for that many days. When our Delaware went broody we did it for 3 days and it worked... but the next time she or maybe another chicken went broody 3 days didn't work. I'm now in the mindset of just doing it longer to be safe. Your mileage may vary.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom