She's sitting on 18 eggs!!

I see. That is funny wonder how she got it in there. I didn't start counting days until mine stopped laying and the count stayed the same for 2 days. I was off on the hatch date though so maybe I should have started counting sooner than I did. It was kind of hard for me to tell when she actually started setting the nest, not just laying her normal egg a day. How old is your "soon to be mama"? Hope all goes well for you.

I see. That is funny wonder how she got it in there. I didn't start counting days until mine stopped laying and the count stayed the same for 2 days. I was off on the hatch date though so maybe I should have started counting sooner than I did. It was kind of hard for me to tell when she actually started setting  the nest, not just laying her normal egg a day. How old is your "soon to be mama"?  Hope all goes well for you.

I had thought she was done laying and was sitting but I do believe I was wrong, I think she was keeping them warm because the weather was really cold for a few days.
But since last night she has been staying on her eggs, except when her partner escaped a little bit ago, but as soon as I put him back in the got back on her eggs.
So i am not sure if she is truly sitting or not.
She is 8/9 months old.
And she got her egg out of the fence lol. I am still curious how she pulled that one off in the first place

Glad she got it unstuck. Please keep us informed how the setting is going. Don't be too concerned about her taking personal time off the nest. I think they are born with the natural instinct of knowing how long they can be away from the eggs without doing any harm to them. I also believe they can tell if the eggs are viable or not and will discard any that are not right for whatever reason. At least that has been my experience with both of my recent moms.

Glad she got it unstuck. Please keep us informed how the setting is going. Don't be too concerned about her taking personal time off the nest. I think they are born with the natural instinct of knowing how long they can be away from the eggs without doing any harm to them. I also believe they can tell if the eggs are viable or not and will discard any that are not right for whatever reason. At least that has been my experience with both of my recent moms.

Well she has been sitting all yesterday and so far all today, her mate got out again and he freaked out for a short bit but I do believe she decided he was as important as her eggs and she has gone back to them,
She even built up her nest with some feathers and a lot of lil branches twigs grass and hay.
And she built it in a way all of her eggs are under her so I'm wondering how many will actually hatch. She hasn't pushed any out so far.
If by some crazy chance all hatch I do believe I'm gonna go ducking crazy

Awesome! I had to drain the big pool I had set up because mama duck (Knotty) decided to take the little babies for a swim. Easy to get into the pool difficult to get out. Didn't want to take a chance on any of them being unable to get out so I dismantled it. These babies are proving to be very mischievous. They have already escaped the enclosure once and taken a swim in the big pool twice. I wonder what they will do next. Hope I can keep them all safe.

Keep us posted! Can't wait to see the final turn-out.  Is this her first time going broody?

Her first real time yes, she had tried a few weeks ago but had to abandon the nest because my two other female ducks stole it from her and would sit and scare her away. Then they gave up as well a few days later.

Back
Top Bottom