Shhh- Top Secret!

Chic_girl

Songster
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
Near Columbus OH
No- really. Top secret- you must promise now that what ever I say will never leave this post.

Why all the secrecy? Because I have just set several illicit eggs in my college dorm room.

Looks pretty innocent and clean as usual:

Scene of the crime- the closet!

The culprits:

So, I was talking with my parents when they came up to visit me, and we chatted about how my flock at home had diminished since I left- and how I should get more. Then, I decided that I really wanted chicks again, and my parents agreed. So, I hatched a plot to set up my incubator in my dorm room- and then they said yes!

I researched breeds and narrowed it down- I wanted Ameraucanas- real ones. Then I had to track down a breeder, made easy by the BYC community. I found a breeder of Blue/Black/Splash Ameraucanas in Texas.

I had never tried to buy shipped eggs- and I chose to ship a dozen eggs from TX to OH- during a cold snap. I can say that they arrived safely, if a little cooled off! My parents delivered them to me, and I candled them, but had a hard time seeing anything. My Brinsea Mini Advance could only fit 9 of the eggs (without the autoturner disk), so I chose them at random, and set them at 4:40 this evening. I have hand turned them a few times already- so far so good!

I'll keep you updated on the situation- I'm so excited!

Now, before you think about how terrible this is, I planned it very carefully.

Through several twists of fate and various circumstances, I have not had a roommate all year, and most likely will not be getting one the remainder of the year- so having a roomie's approval not a problem.
My RA's are pretty cool, and would be very into the process as well, if I decide to tell them. And Hall staff also have let me get away with having far too large of a fish tank in my room, so I don't think they'd be bothered by this either.

The chicks are timed to hatch the week of our spring break- so the moment they hatch, I ferret the chicks back home to be raised by their 'grandparents'. With maybe occasional visits by me! It will be an experience- one that I really look forward to.

OH! Also-

Any tips on hatching shipped eggs?
They came from pretty far, underwent some rough treatment by the post, and faced a couple moments of cooling in the front cab of the delivery vehicle. I know that this lowers their chances dramatically, but I hope I can get a few to hatch!
When I candled them, none of the air cells were detached, but most of the air cells appeared saddle-shaped, which is supposed to make it hard for the chicks to position themselves. Any advice on how to deal with this??

Start of day 2- really no changes, but the temperature outside is supposed to get really low as we get a huge snowstorm pass over. I'm worried about if the electricity goes out. To keep the eggs warm, in case that happens, could I put them in a small cooler that I have?

My friends bought me a fantastic new book to read while I'm waiting patiently. Its called Cinders: A Chicken Cinderella, and its by one of my favorite authors and illustrators, Jan Brett!
Just thought that the chicken-loving community would need a book like this! It makes me happy!
big_smile.png

Alright- I'm gonna go back to studying while I wait!

Last edited:
I am going to be picking some eggs up this morning and will do a hatch-along with you. I love the illustrated book - that is excellent! I am in Texas so our weather is heading into Spring. I have the mini Brinsea but since I am getting a dozen plus some Wyandotte eggs I went out to get the cheap Little Giant so I would have room - I think the thermostat will send me into crazy-land. I should have just ordered the larger Brinsea. The temps are holding within range so far though. I would think the college would make sure the electricity stays on for you guys - trouble writing papers and such if the computers are dark...

We actually brewed homemade beer in our dorm closet

Thanks for your reply, Topdycke!
Oh, Wyandottes- What color, and from where?

This is my 3rd hatch, but I havn't hatched anything for about 3 years. Hatch rates had been fairly good for the backyard eggs I hatched before- I'm nervous about these shipped eggs!
I chose the Mini Brinsea, because it's small, and its pretty much set-and-forget- perfect for me, who may occasionally want to hatch eggs, but not at any large scale, and without much anxiety over temps and humidity! Using the Little Giant's seems like it be soo stressful...

And yes, I have friends who've attempted various secret endeavors in their dorm rooms- One of my friends currently has a corn snake living with her- sweet as pie, and the quietest dorm pet you could find!

Just got back from picking the eggs up. I've gotten an assortment of Wyandotte colors - GL, BLR and Columbian from another BYC member - txmja. I was able to see some of her birds at a regional show at Texas A & M University and she did very well there. I have never hatched eggs or had chickens so it is entirely a learning experience for me. I have been reading BYC notes nearly every day for the past year. The Brinsea should be a perfect incubator and everyone had said good things about the hatch rates. I will just need to not dink with the controls and then I won't add to the temperature changes from my newbie nervousness.

The college brewing experiment was fun putting together all the stuff but I would not rave about the final product taste results.

The best posts for shipped eggs and saddle shaped cells are from SallySunshine- she has a whole thread dedicated to that subject if you search on it. Even picking up eggs in the car I was told to let them settle before putting into the incubator.

Yep- I read through Sally Sunshine's article very thoroughly! Still nervous though- the Ameraucana eggs went through some rough shipping, cold weather, and most have saddle-shaped air cells....
With the saddle-shaped air cells, I'm wondering about if I'll have to help them out- another frightening prospect!
hide.gif

Those Wyndottes sound fantastic- show birds and all. I love the BRL ones- one day, I want to undertake a breeding project and create some Blue-Laced Red Polish- they would be stunning...
droolin.gif

Are you setting some in the Mini, and some in the Little Giant? You can compare the rates in development for both 'bators.

Hopefully we'll both have some cute chickies soon to brag about!

The weather looks like you have some bad stuff heading your way. We are supposed to go from 72 to 29 degrees and perhaps freezing rain by the morning. Nowhere near like the winter you have had however.

The shipping thing just stressed me out so I drove an hour out to meet the breeder - I think if they go Fed Ex ground it might not be too bad. I have flown dogs before and they did ok but I got to pick the time and that they were on a direct flight.

I thought about running the two incubators and comparing. If the LG doesn't behave I will fire up the mini and pick an assortment as my insurance. I should just order the other Brinsea and then use the LG as a day old brooder when they start to hatch. The eggs are in and temps are coming up - I have four thermometers now. The little kids frog one is the best so far.

I like the Tolbundt Polish. The mille flour color is so pretty. The Columbian coloring is my other favorite.

Back
Top Bottom