Shiitake Mushroom Farming on Logs at Earthen Acres

What are your favorite kind of mushrooms?

• Oyster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chicken of the woods

• Other

• Total voters

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
Hey everyone. Today I am starting my shiitake mushroom grow process. Figured i'd share...PART 1

Last week I cut down a white oak tree, and ordered a set of 1000 shiitake mushroom plug spawns from field & forest website. Today I spent the morning processing the oak, preparing it for inoculation. I allowed to rest first for about a week before de-limbing or anything to reduce the moisture content a little bit. I processed the log into approximately 3 foot sections. It's diameter was approx 6 inches at the base and 3 inches towards the crown. It was about 35' tall. I will also inoculate the stump.
Tools for this section of the project...
20200404_092809.jpg
...Chainsaw, Fireman's axe, and surveyor's tape.

I made my first cut where the crown began, giving me two easier to work with "halves". I then used the tape and my pocket knife to mark the log into approx' 3 foot sections...
20200404_092836.jpg

20200404_092908.jpg

20200404_093055.jpg

After getting my appropriate measurements I used the chainsaw to make the cuts, finishing stubborn pieces with the axe. I ended up with seven logs from the trunk, and an additional 3 from the crown for 10 total. The rest of the crown will go to firewood so, no waste!...
20200404_094013.jpg

20200404_101416.jpg

Then I lugged all my logs into a nice shady moist area to await inoculation.

I also dropped a similiar size beech tree which I will process and with the same system this week for inoculation.

Thank you so much for reading. I am going to the post office in a little while to pick up my spawn. I will be inoculating this afternoon, taking pics of the process. Any relevant experience or advice as always is greatly appreciated. Stay tuned for part 2!

I'm such a doof. I got to the post office a little while ago...and realized it was saturday. They closed at noon. Sooo Monday it is for inoculation I guess. :he:th:hit:confused::cool:

Part 2: Inoculation

This is the spawn I was working with.
20200407_090016.jpg

The kit also came with a drill bit w/ stop collar, plug wax for over the holes, and ID tags. The idea was to drill about 50 holes(6 in. apart vertically, 2 in apart horizontally in a diamond pattern) in each log. Then hammer the dowels in with a rubber mallet until they're flush, then seal the holes with plug wax(cheese wax and mineral oil). The plug wax is nice because you can apply it with your finger at ambient temperature.

Tools for the job included rubber mallet, cordless drill with extra battery, measuring tape, and stapler for the the tags. Here's some pics of the process.
20200407_083900.jpg

IMG_20200407_111325_197.jpg

20200407_173932.jpg

Took about 6 hours, but I got all ten white oak logs inoculated!
20200407_173917.jpg

Now I just have to wait til next spring! :fl

I processed a beech I fell the other day to be inoculated in a few days with the remainder of the spawn plug.
20200407_173954.jpg

Got some curious cluckers in the background.

Feeling really good about this project. thanks for checking it out. Any questions or comments feel free!

Thank you so much! If you're thinking of shiitake cultivation, keep an eye out for relatively fresh dead wood(don't want too much competing fungi) of the oak, american beech, or sugar maple species. Appreciate you stopping in!
This is fantastic! Bookmarking!! We have so many logs laying about that I'm eyeballing the tool shed. Can't wait to see what's next for you Tre3hugger!!

Thank you so much! If you're thinking of shiitake cultivation, keep an eye out for relatively fresh dead wood(don't want too much competing fungi) of the oak, american beech, or sugar maple species. Appreciate you stopping in!
Wonderful! We have two different types on our property -- (2) Oak varieties and Manzanita. We spend a lot of time keeping it dry (at the moment!) because of the weather, but constantly cutting, splitting and storing. I can't wait for your next update!!

I have morel and chicken of the woods that grow naturally on our property. I actually used some of the chicken of the woods last year in a recipe. In years past, I just left it alone. Same with the morels. Wasn't sure if they were the true morels or the false morels, so did not eat them. Have been told by my son the morel hunter that they are true morels. Hope to find some this year as well. Also found some at one of the local state parks last year but left them alone because the signs say "do not remove anything from the state parks" or something to that effect. Later, someone told me that doesn't apply to the morels.

Back
Top Bottom