Shipped Chicks one week old and still dying

Hi All! New here. I have tried searching threads but have not found one that fits me exactly. Ordered chicks from a private breeder. SFHs, 18 arrived, ordered 15 (3 are extras and a different breed). No bedding in box or a heat pack. Temps at night were dripping to 52/56 degrees in my area and a high of 85. Not sure what temps were along the way. Unboxed into a preheated brooder that I have used many times with no deaths. Have thermometers to monitor temps. Did have some fluctuation with the hot days and cold nights they are in a Brooder inside a small room we built in our garage. The room is not drafty. Dipped beaks in water. Have given electrolytes and probiotics. First one started fading the next day and I lost three more almost daily. Ive done so many things, nutri drops, sugar water, scrambled eggs, egg yolk. Watch the temp all the time. They can move in and out of heat as heat is on one end and brooder is at 3 feet long and 2.5 feet wide. Left for five hours today for appts and shopping, seen no signs of fading before leaving and two more dead. I have consulted with the breeder, I have discussed with chicken friends. At first it seemed to be the more fragile ones. But these today were growing. They are 10 days today, so these ones made it past the first week. Im at a loss. Can cold during shipping take them this long to pass? Temp this morning was 90. Fresh water and food. Pasty butts on a hand-full the first few days but none since. My chicks I shipped in the week before did great and are thriving, no losses and were in the exact same set up as the second shipment is now. Any advice? I hate to lose them all. Thanks
Awww, I hope this has all been worked out for you. Oh, and welcome to BYC!

Also, I hope you order from a hatchery going forward. I think you'll like the experience better.

I try to keep the floor temperature under the ceramic heater in my brooders at 100 F for 24 hrs after picking up chicks . A mother hen can keep her chicks warmer without hurting them because her core body temperature is 105-106 F.

Something like this just happened to me. I think I may have discovered why my chicks (also shipped and chilled during shipment) keep dying without warning. While my home -hatched chicks in the same brooder are fine. I think the new chicks have less vision in low or red light. So they were starving to death because they couldn't see the feed and water. It could be genetic or could be caused by getting chilled during shipping. But I put an additional light over the brooder and they are suddenly perking up. Sad that I had to lose 8 chicks before realizing this.

Back
Top Bottom