Shipped egg candling questions

Meaola

Chirping
Apr 17, 2015
I have 8 Midget White Turkeys and 6 Ringed neck pheasant eggs incubating that were shipped. I let them sit for a little over 24 hrs (small side down) before putting them in the incubator and did not turn them for three days. They are in an auto turner small side down. We are on day 14 for the turkeys, and day 13 for the pheasants. (also have chicken eggs in that came from ours, now on day 11)

All of the developing shipped egg's air cells look different than the other eggs. They all seem to be on the top and along one side...but they are stable. Is this a problem? Only one turkey egg seems to be developing and is moving...and I have seen 5 of the remaining 6 pheasants moving. I took a picture of the turkey egg and will take some of the others tonight if needed... but the pheasants look the same as this one. My chicken's eggs look like all of the normal candling pictures for their dates. I have had the humidity at 50-55%. We live in a dry climate in the high desert at about 3,200 ft.

Those are called "saddled" air cells, and are common with shipped eggs from what I hear. I have my first three sets of shipped eggs in my incubator right now, and the first batch has many of these.

I lost a few, but the losses were distributed proportionately between normal and saddled air cells. They are in lockdown now, and I will probably take a peek at a couple of the air cells to see how they change during lockdown.

Marking the dip was a challenge!

Oh, thanks! Will you keep me posted as to how these go? Do you hatch on the bottom or in an egg carton. Does it matter or make a difference how they are positioned at lockdown?

I will post back as they hatch.

I hatch on the bottom, flat on their sides, after removing from the turners. Whether or not it makes a difference, as chickens don't candle eggs, I mark the deepest dip of the air cell and place that side up as the most likely pip point as I like to watch the pip.

I just candled, at day 25, and the saddles are "fixed". With the eggs on their side, the growing poults have pushed the lesser dip, oriented toward the floor, toward the fat end. The larger dip, oriented upward, has extended as normal. While the air cell profile is still a little irregular, it is no longer weird.

And...I have two obvious internal pips ready to pop through. It's going to be a long wait for Saturday.

Last edited:
I will post back as they hatch.

I hatch on the bottom, flat on their sides, after removing from the turners.  Whether or not it makes a difference, as chickens don't candle eggs, I mark the deepest dip of the air cell and place that side up as the most likely pip point as I like to watch the pip.

I just candled, at day 25, and the saddles are "fixed".  With the eggs on their side, the growing poults have pushed the lesser dip, oriented toward the floor, toward the fat end.  The larger dip, oriented upward, has extended as normal.  While the air cell profile is still a little irregular, it is no longer weird.

And...I have two obvious internal pips ready to pop through.  It's going to be a long wait for Saturday.

Very exciting! Can't wait to see pics. Thank you for answering. Happy hatching....

Back
Top Bottom