Shipped Egg Hatch-A-Long

FoodFreedomNow

Free Ranging
7 Years
Aug 11, 2016
Everywhere, all at once
What can I say - I'm apparently a glutton for punishment when it comes to shipped eggs. 😬 After a disappointing shipped goose egg hatch (out of 13 eggs over 2 seasons from the same seller, I have 1 live gosling from the last hatch), I received shipped 15 Lavender Ameraucana eggs.

Like the goose eggs, the eggs showed clear shipping damage (saddled and detached air cells)...plus cracks as an added bonus! 🙁 Cracked eggs were painted with Liquid Bandage. The eggs were set upright in a carton for 24 hours, then went into the incubator (upright) and were not turned for another 72 hours.

At 2 days in, one egg had to be removed because it started to smell. It was a cracked egg that looked oddly dark when initially candled - clearly, it had gone bad. 14 left.

First candling: 2 clears and 4 blood rings removed - likely due to shipping stress. 2 more are questionable but left in. The other cracked egg is still developing. 🤞 8 left.

Next candling will be on 6/24. Hoping I didn't lose too many more.

Anyone else out there in BYCland hatching shipped eggs?

Just did candling #2 and we're down to 6 eggs left. The many blood rings weren't a big surprise - from what I've seen, shipping damage can result in lots of them. One of the eggs has a still-wonky saddled air cell, too.

One week to go. After incubating so many goose eggs, chicken egg incubation feels like instant gratification! :gig

Back
Top Bottom