Shipped eggs… Oops!

GuineaPig24

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2023
A friend of mine ordered me hatching eggs for Christmas. I’m currently on day 7 for the first batch and day 5 for the second.

In batch #1, there were 8 eggs, so far three have not made it and 2 seem suspicious.

In batch #2, there were 3 eggs and so far I can see growth in 1 but I’m going to wait until Tuesday to weed out the duds.

That being said, I did not know that I was supposed to leave the eggs upside down in a carton for a day :( One egg already has a tiny air sac that is partially diagonal.

Is there any way to mediate this or do I just have to hope for the best? My incubator is much too small to fit an egg carton in for the eggs to be vertical, but maybe I can find a way to fix it?

Thank you for your help!

A friend of mine ordered me hatching eggs for Christmas. I’m currently on day 7 for the first batch and day 5 for the second.

In batch #1, there were 8 eggs, so far three have not made it and 2 seem suspicious.

In batch #2, there were 3 eggs and so far I can see growth in 1 but I’m going to wait until Tuesday to weed out the duds.

That being said, I did not know that I was supposed to leave the eggs upside down in a carton for a day :( One egg already has a tiny air sac that is partially diagonal.

Is there any way to mediate this or do I just have to hope for the best? My incubator is much too small to fit an egg carton in for the eggs to be vertical, but maybe I can find a way to fix it?

Thank you for your help!
My first time leaving eggs vertical, I cut up a carton and put each square holding an egg wherever they would fit in the incubator

My first time leaving eggs vertical, I cut up a carton and put each square holding an egg wherever they would fit in the incubator
:goodpost:

I've hatched shipped eggs four times and the first time I didn't know either. I had a little over half hatch so I was happy. After that, I learned and got more towards 75% on shipped eggs.

I guess if I had to skip or forgot sitting them out overnight, I'd do this idea at least for a few days.

I think my best hatch rate actually came from just ploping them in the incubator (sideways, but I don't think doing it upright would have hurt anymore) within a few hours of getting them. I didn't leave them to sit still and upright like the 3 batches before

Back
Top Bottom