Shipped eggs and my own eggs

Pipe Dreaming

Songster
8 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Montrose, MI.
I'm getting shipped eggs and planned on incubating them along with my own eggs I'll be collecting.
Is this a bad idea? I know it may depend on the condition of the eggs/air cells to see how I need to treat them.
I have a hovabator with an auto turner, and I'm anticipating not getting to use the Turner.
Looking for people's experiences of incubating local eggs with shipped eggs.
Oh.. and this is my first time ever trying shipped eggs! I'm sure I'll have more questions once my eggs arrive.
Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Maybe look into getting 2 incubators (Im an enabler lol)

Why didn't I think of that! Lol.. I talked myself into it and ordered one.
I justified it since I've been working like a dang dog lately and been getting so much OT. (I can justify about anything when it comes to chickens!)
I have a problem.. lol

I will keep an eye here because im in the same boat. My eggs got shipped on thursday morning And are now waiting for a 2 hour flight. But because they are a spcial breed im not putting any of my eggs with them.

If you do i dont thinks theres going to be a problem. Are they the same kind of you shipping and fo your eggs?

The shipped eggs are BCM'S. The eggs from my own hens will be BCM'S, EE's and OE'S (all covered by BCM roosters)
I have had good luck using dividers at lockdown, keeping chicks separate for different breeds/crosses.

Last edited:
I dont see where there would be an issue with mixing the eggs as long as you can keep them separate from your own eggs. Ive mixed hatched before and never had a problem but when in doubt, opt to be safe. Maybe look into getting 2 incubators (Im an enabler lol)

I would anticipate hand turning as well. Usually it is recommended that shipped don't turn for the first couple of days of incubation, more if there are severely damaged air cells. Other than that I wouldn't see an issue either unless you are unable to hand turn the home grown eggs enough.

Why didn't I think of that! Lol.. I talked myself into it and ordered one.
I justified it since I've been working like a dang dog lately and been getting so much OT. (I can justify about anything when it comes to chickens!)
I have a problem.. lol
gig.gif

Well we are in a winter storm warning. I just got home and went out to get eggs. It's so cold I only kept a nice olive one to try hatching. 23 degrees, dang near blizzard conditions- next week? 60 degrees. Lol.. gotta love it.
I'm hoping the weather levels out some so the eggs that are getting shipped aren't put through one extreme to the other. Fingers are crossed!

Well we are in a winter storm warning. I just got home and went out to get eggs. It's so cold I only kept a nice olive one to try hatching. 23 degrees, dang near blizzard conditions- next week? 60 degrees. Lol.. gotta love it.
I'm hoping the weather levels out some so the eggs that are getting shipped aren't put through one extreme to the other. Fingers are crossed!
We're under a storm watch for the next 24 with up to a foot of snow. it's 15F now, been 20 most of the day. I think we are supposed to hit 40 at some point next week....lol I hope this is the last for this winter.

Back
Top Bottom