Shipped Eggs Day 8 Pics- dead or not fertile?

ChelsisChooks

Chirping
May 31, 2019
I purchased Ice Cream Bar and BCM eggs from a breeder. Eggs were well packaged, shipped in foam, arrived in 2 days and were put in incubator on 3rd day. I also purchased double silver Laced Barnevelder eggs from a local breeder and put them in at the same time as well as 2 of my own to see if a young cockerel I have is doing his job yet. This is my first hatch.
Today is day 8.
I just candled the eggs.
Of the DSLB eggs I picked up locally 6 out of 6 show proper development. Of my own 2, 1 shows proper development.
Of the BCM eggs I can not see in to the egg well enough to judge.
Of the Ice Cream Bars:
6/10 I could easily see had not developed.
2/10 I am uncertain so have left in
2/10 I believe are developing.
As I’m learning I decided to break the eggs open to see where I lost development. Attached is a pic of the 6 yolks.
1 had a tiny bit of blood vein.
1 looked like it had spoiled.
4 looked like normal supermarket eggs.
My question is, does this mean that the eggs died before being placed in the incubator or does it mean that they were infertile (or is it impossible to tell).
I understand 50% fertility is to be expected on shipped eggs.

Attachments

• 737AD8C5-D81A-41AD-8304-E0AE59E40FA1.jpeg
    737AD8C5-D81A-41AD-8304-E0AE59E40FA1.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 39
I can clearly see a couple eggs who are fertile, while others look infertile or are unclear. Some eggs take a couple days longer than the rest to start growing veins and to show more signs of development. I always candle on day 7, and then candle again on day 10. If by day 10 some eggs are still not developing, I throw them out.

Thank you both for your reply. When I candled the shipped eggs before I set them I noticed 2 appeared scrambled. I was overzealous about taking them out because I have this fear of rotten eggs exploding or leaking but after cracking these open only one appeared off the others didn’t smell at all. So it sounds like my rookie move of removing them might have cost me. Live and learn I guess... I probably should have started with cheaper eggs

Once they've been incubated for several days, its nearly impossible to say if they were NOT fertile. The one egg with the blood in it obviously started developing, so it was fertile, but failed for whatever reason. The others may have been fertile, just not viable.

Yolk color is determined by the hen's diet mostly, so they can really be any range of yellow to orange.

Good luck with the ones that are developing!

Back
Top Bottom