Shipped hatching eggs question

Lady Chickadee

Rocky Top Silkies
8 Years
Apr 1, 2011
Central Kentucky
I was wondering if you did get two shipments of hatching eggs and they both weren't very far away from you and they were both shipping on the same day would it be possible to buy and try to hatch them both or would it be to risky?? Like If one shipment got here before the other one would you just set it out longer(until the other one got there which probably would be just one more day) and turn it 3 times a day at room temperature or would that drop the hatch rate a lot since its sitting out longer than it should?I'm just wondering and have been wondering about this for a while now.I'm also new to hatching and only have one incubator.

Thanks!!

With shipped eggs, you should let them 'rest' for 24 to 48 hours before putting them in the incubator. What I do is take them out of whatever they were shipped in and put them big side up in an egg carton in a room about 60 degrees (my basement) and leave them alone for 24 hours. The I put them in the incubator and do NOT turn them for 2 or so days. The reason for this is that the aircells often get pretty damaged during shipping and this allows them heal a little more. I have found this to significantly improve my hatch rate with shipped eggs.

That being said, while eggs are resting, you are ok to wait for the eggs that haven't arrived yet, let them all rest and put them in together. I have let some rest for only 18 hours and they did ok, too. Batches that do not rest for me have had fewer start to develop.

Good luck.

I've put four different shipments of eggs in the same day.... I had to make one shipment wait two days and one shipment had to wait one day so they could all start together.

What's the longest you would wait to set them? Would you wait more than three days or is that a bad idea? I hope you don't mind my borrowing your post Lady Chickadee.
roll.png

With shipped eggs, you should let them 'rest' for 24 to 48 hours before putting them in the incubator. What I do is take them out of whatever they were shipped in and put them big side up in an egg carton in a room about 60 degrees (my basement) and leave them alone for 24 hours. The I put them in the incubator and do NOT turn them for 2 or so days. The reason for this is that the aircells often get pretty damaged during shipping and this allows them heal a little more. I have found this to significantly improve my hatch rate with shipped eggs.

That being said, while eggs are resting, you are ok to wait for the eggs that haven't arrived yet, let them all rest and put them in together. I have let some rest for only 18 hours and they did ok, too. Batches that do not rest for me have had fewer start to develop.

Good luck.

If you didn't turn them for 2 or so days in the incubator would you count those as day 1 and day 2 or would you start counting days when you start turning?

Thanks!

I want to order another batch of eggs from another hatchery, but they could be as much as 3-4 days apart. If that happens, I might have to pray that one of my girls go broody at the same time. i only have one incubator and no self control. More eggs..... more eggs..... more eggs.....
droolin.gif

I want to order another batch of eggs from another hatchery, but they could be as much as 3-4 days apart. If that happens, I might have to pray that one of my girls go broody at the same time. i only have one incubator and no self control. More eggs..... more eggs..... more eggs.....
droolin.gif
Same here
roll.png
.One incubator and no self control.
tongue2.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom