Shipping Question

amainehenhouse

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
Can anyone tell me, How do you ship chickens?
hmm.png

I don't know exactly..............but I just got some from a breeder in Texas. They were great....special boxes and such.......check around.

I've shipped chickens a few times....

Call your post office where the bird will be going so they can get ready for their designation point and how long they will be on the road. Get the time you need to get there before the truck pulled away so your bird does not sit in the PO any longer than it needed to.

BE sure to check your bird for health.......its important they are healthy before you ship and it wont hurt to de lice or de mite them before going to their new homes. Worm them a month before they go, not before. I've shipped birds without the NPIP papers but vet papers can go a long ways but be sure to check with your PO requirements on having health papers on your birds. (most of them dont check but all my birds came from NPIP breeders and I do ship some of my NPIP bred birds out. I am not NPIP registered yet..been trying to find someone who would do it but alot of them are LAZY!).

You would need to buy a Horizon shipping box with filters That is a requirement for the USPS to have the bird safely shipped and employees happy. One LF bird per box (if it is a single occupated box).

Inside that box, you would need some shavings, an inch will suffice AND some treats like cut up apples, and grapes. Make sure it is more than enough in case the bird has to stop a little longer than normal. (I had four SSH bantams from MI that was on the road for five days and the breeder had put in way enough food for them for the trip and they all made it alive but very hungry and thirsty).
Put your bird inside the box and off to the post office you go.

You will find Horizon nest shipping boxes on Eggbid or their website. I ordered mine thru a guy named Melonamore on Eggbid and he is great shipping boxes.

Hope this helps you!

Thank you so very much for the info on shipping, will check with the PO. thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom