shivering ducks

mickeymousears

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
SLO; CA
When my peking drake sits in my lap- well stands next to it he's to big to fit in it- he shakes his head which I can best describe as shivering. I've noticed the female rouen does the same action towards him(she doesn't let me pet her) has anyone ever seen this? Does anyone know what it really means? I've likened it to a cat purr.

Mine does it too. I thought he was hungry or hypoglycemic and fed him. But he does it even after he eats... So I am thinking it's duck language for excited.

My 12 week old Muscovy was doing that last night when I was holding him and petting him. I think it is excitement too, but of course don't know for sure, but he doesn't mind me holding him and rubbing his neck so I am pretty sure it wasn't stress.

No its definately not stress or fright - I sit on the ground and this duck comes to me and like I said he doesn't fit in my lap so he can run away at any point. He does it more if I dig my fingers into his feathers and scratch the base of his neck/ top of his wings - I'm sticking with its like a cat purr. I love my quackers!!

Is it more of a calm shivering or a vibrating? When our ducks get scared, they tend to make a vibrating feeling. If its more of a shiver, I suppose its down to excitement - like a cat's purr, as someone mentioned
smile.png

Does anyone ACTUALLY know what the shivering/buzzing means? Mine do it all the time and I would like to know if it's a happy or mad thing. I can't find any info about it anywhere! Can someone list sources if they find an answer? Thank you!

I asked about this behavior awhile ago. There was some info under a vibrating head post. Vibrating, shivering, quivering and trembling. Many think it's aggression or anger. I personally believe it's excitement. Can be good excitement, or can be bad. Mine often do it when they are getting treats, being territorial, wound up after a bathing session with crazy running around the yard nuttiness, grooming another duck or when being pet.

my Baby Duck does this quite a lot, sometimes while she's snuggling on my lap she starts shivering and then she shoots out her head and starts nuzzling my arm, and sometimes it happens when I come back outside after being inside for a bit after she runs up to me. our other duck, Big Duck, does it too on occasion when I come back outside too.

Back
Top Bottom