Shoreline Chicken Code Correction

kday

Hatching
Feb 26, 2016
The setback rules do NOT relate to domesticated foul (chicken and other poultry). Here's the code section 20.40.240

"E. Birds (other than domestic fowl) shall be kept in an aviary or loft that meets the following standards:

1. The aviary or loft shall provide one-half cubic foot for each parakeet, canary or similarly sized birds, one cubic foot for each pigeon, small parrot or similarly sized bird, and two cubic feet for each large parrot, macaw or similarly sized bird.

2. Aviaries or lofts shall not exceed 2,000 square feet in footprint.

3. The aviary is set back at least 10 feet from any property line, and 20 feet from any neighboring dwelling unit."

This code does NOT pertain to chickens. Section D has no restrictions on chickens.

The setback rules do NOT relate to domesticated foul (chicken and other poultry). Here's the code section 20.40.240

"E. Birds (other than domestic fowl) shall be kept in an aviary or loft that meets the following standards:

1. The aviary or loft shall provide one-half cubic foot for each parakeet, canary or similarly sized birds, one cubic foot for each pigeon, small parrot or similarly sized bird, and two cubic feet for each large parrot, macaw or similarly sized bird.

2. Aviaries or lofts shall not exceed 2,000 square feet in footprint.

3. The aviary is set back at least 10 feet from any property line, and 20 feet from any neighboring dwelling unit."

This code does NOT pertain to chickens. Section D has no restrictions on chickens.

Many codes are written to say what you are allowed to have, and if not specifically allowed, it is disallowed. This will be stated (or absent) in hte Rules of Construction, which is usually at the very beginning or very end of the entire code.

In the paragraph before it explicitly says chickens are allowed. I read legal documents for a profession and may neighbors have chickens and don't have a setback and asked the city of shoreline. I am positive I am right on this. But if you want misinformed readers keep the post as is.

It isn't a question so much as a statement that the shoreline chicken regs do not require a property line setback for the coop. The setback pertains only to non-domesticated fowl, and chicken are explicitly domesticated fowl. The question is how do we correct the post so that readers won't be misled like I originally was before I spent several hours researching this topic, calling the city, and reading the code

No, there is no need to move the coop but the shoreline thread reads as if it has to be setback 10' from the property line and 20' from the house. But I was told (and read the city regulations) that there is no setback required for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom