Short Tailed Weasel

KrisRose

Songster
12 Years
Mar 9, 2007
Davison, MI.
Yesterday my awesome barn cat got an Ermine/Short Tailed Weasel.
woot.gif

I idenitified it by using an old book, Reader's Digest North American Wildlife, which states that the Ermine/Short Tailed Weasel preys on rodents and that the Long-Tailed Weasel can " cause considerable damage in a chicken coop".
So does this still hold true?? Is it just the Long-Tailed Weasel that I have to worry about?? I don't live in a swampy area so I was surprized at this varmint being in the neighborhood. There is a pond across the road but its aways from me.
It was very small!!! About 6 inches in lenght, tan-brown with white belly. I had Chickflick take pictures but it will be at least Monday before I get them in the computer. I do this at work were the computer geek can help me and I have a long weekend coming up!!
My barn cat, Dufus Magoo, got lunch meat and love in return for his prey!!!
love.gif

Well here's the wikipedia page on Short tailed weasels or Stoats as they are known elsewhere. With weasels it really comes down to the sex of the creature. A female would be likely to take a chick or an egg but (under most conditions) wouldn't think of attacking a chicken. A male however can and would kill a chicken under the ideal conditions, time being one of the main factors. The males (both long and short tailed) have been known to kill rabbits that are three to four times thier size. The article will give you a good idea what these guys are capable of.

Thanks for the info Jyrrah- Bummer- looks like I'm spending the weekend looking for holes the size of golf balls in my chicken run
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom