Should I add heat

itsybitsyfroggy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 18, 2012
In a few nights, it will be going down to -14 degrees F. Should I put in a heat lamp? I have 7 chickens in an 8x10 non-insulated coop, but one chicken always sits by herself on a different roost while the others cuddle together and I feel bad for her. Will the heat lamp make the humidity worse? I don't want them to get frostbite and I don't want a coop fire, but will they be alright without a heater?
Also, for those chickens with big combs, what is the minimum temp to put Vaseline on them? is it anywhere below freezing, or only when it gets really cold?
Thank you!

If they haven't had heat yet, they should be fine. I have never put vaseline on a chicken's comb, and it has gotten well below -14 here. Humidity is your worst enemy as far as frostbite is concerned. Make sure your coop is well ventilated and it will make a huge difference. This is a great thread for anyone questioning whether or not they should heat their coop:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/421122/think-its-too-cold-for-your-chickens-think-again

Back
Top Bottom