Should I be concerned?

lv9777

Songster
Aug 29, 2021
Michigan
This is my Cochin who goes broody all the time. She is currently considering broody but has not committed. I know that they will pull feathers when broody, but this seems extreme. Is this bare bottom normal or should I be concerned?
She seems to be eating and drinking as normal. I don't see any signs of lice or mites. I have not seen any signs of bullying. Her comb is nice and red. No one else has any feather loss. ????

Attachments

• bare bottom.PNG
    bare bottom.PNG
    207 KB · Views: 26
  • maggie.jpg
    maggie.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 9
That's pretty far back for where they normally will pluck feathers for better contact with the eggs. Either another bird is feather picking, or she's rubbing them off somewhere, either the roosts or nest boxes.

That's pretty far back for where they normally will pluck feathers for better contact with the eggs. Either another bird is feather picking, or she's rubbing them off somewhere, either the roosts or nest boxes.
Any suggestions on what to do? It gets pretty cold in the winter in Michigan for a bare bottom. The roost is a 2X4 covered with felt, but she likes the bottom nesting box which backs up to the edge of the shed and some raw wood. I'll add some padding under the straw.
Anything I can do to encourage new growth other than protein?

Any suggestions on what to do? It gets pretty cold in the winter in Michigan for a bare bottom. The roost is a 2X4 covered with felt, but she likes the bottom nesting box which backs up to the edge of the shed and some raw wood. I'll add some padding under the straw.
Anything I can do to encourage new growth other than protein?
She should grow those feathers in during the fall. I wouldn't worry too much. Chickens are pretty warm creatures and cochins are very fluffy.

Back
Top Bottom