Should I be worried?

honeyb711

Songster
7 Years
Jun 30, 2016
QLD Australia
So in all my years of keeping chickens, I've never found one like pictured 🤔

Given where I found it, I know who laid it, & she is by far my friendliest, loudest, bossiest girl, & seems to be in great health. She lays daily. Has done pretty much since I rescued her. They get lots of variety, 18% feed, fruits & veg, mealworms/black fly larvae, shell grit, & as they free range, they get plenty from the gardens. Is this something I should just keep an eye on? Or is there something I should do for my hen?

As I rescued her I cannot be certain about her age, but she is between 1-2yrs old. Also curious to know what she is.....she has the silkie feathered feet & black skin, but she also has actual feathers, the softest feathers that have that beautiful green sheen that reminds me of my Australorp ladies. I rescued 6 of them, one like her, also with feathered feet, but lighter black/dark grey skin, & the other 4 are silkies.

Attachments

• IMG20240502075408.jpg
    IMG20240502075408.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20240502_084056.jpg
    IMG_20240502_084056.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240218_100647.jpg
    IMG_20240218_100647.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 13
I think they're called jelly eggs or something like that it's a lack of calcium from what i remember.
Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to upload a video....but it was dry & felt like it was 'cracking' as touched. It felt a little like a meringue does, & felt like it would just 'crumble'...however it took quiet a bit to actually 'crack' it open.

As for calcium, what do recommend, given she has access to calcium every day? As mentioned, I've never had this before with any of my chickens, the weirdest thing I've had is a chicken who laid 2 eggs one day, both normal, except one was a teeny tiny one 😅 So I'm not sure how to be sure she gets more calcium if that is the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_20240502_080711.jpg
    IMG_20240502_080711.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Yes.

No, not unless it becomes frequent.
Thank you x Fingers crossed it just a once off fault 🤞🏼 For my own knowledge, what would you recommend she needs if this does happen again? I always read that chickens will seek out the things they need, ie calcium, & so long as it provides they would get what they need? She definitely does visit the grit feeder, she is first to taste test everything 😅

Also, any ideas what she is? Someone said maybe a satin silkie? But comparing her to pics of others, I second guess that.
She's a satin silkie. Probably hatchery quality as the fancier ones have pom poms on their heads, or vaulted even, not crests. I've got both kinds here. Those kind are still very beautiful.

For reference in the future, here's a great BYC article about egg quality: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

She's a satin silkie. Probably hatchery quality as the fancier ones have pom poms on their heads, or vaulted even, not crests. I've got both kinds here. Those kind are still very beautiful.

For reference in the future, here's a great BYC article about egg quality: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
Thank you x That explains why her head wasn't matching other satins I looked at. The other like her has slightly different feathers on her head. They are the sweetest girls ❤️

This is the other x 'Elsa & Ana' 🥴

Elsa is abit lighter skinned than Ana, & her head feathering different. Both great layers though.

Attachments

• IMG_20240502_173553.jpg
    IMG_20240502_173553.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 16
Tiny eggs are no problem at all.

But…I had a hen who laid soft eggs without a proper shell more often after she became 3yo. She ended up getting an internal infection or ‘water belly’ and died.

If she lays more soft eggs, do ask advice. Sometimes it seems to help to give supplemental Calcium tablets.

Back
Top Bottom