Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Good to see you still here MC. I gave Big Broody six eggs tonight that came from the RIR rooster and the Delaware and BR hens. Will be interesting to see the results. I often wonder if my rooster is getting the job done so this will be a test for him as well. I don't really need a lot more birds so trying not to get carried away. Of course if Roger keeps good on her promise to leave I could afford to feed six more.

Rhonda the frizzle turned 25 weeks yesterday. No signs of even thinking about egg laying just yet. I am not complaining though. My late blooming Australorp has become my best layer! She didn't start till almost 30 weeks.

Hey OK! Welcome back.
frow.gif
Missed hearing from you and Roger. We got a new cat last week that the shelter had named Roger
hmm.png
. We couldn't go there, so he's now called Henry (or Hank, or Thud). Actually Hub's father was a Roger, so we would have changed it anyway.
smile.png
Good timing on the broody. You should get eggs from those chicks in early spring, or maybe even late winter, so less waiting! Hey, did Roger lay her egg in July?

Lindz, loved the pics and the little chicks. Your white EE is pretty! I was going to suggest you watch where the wayward keet roosted for the night and then grab it, but 25 feet up? Naw... Only raccoons go up that high.
hide.gif
Hope the little booger makes it through the night.

Thanks W4W! Not sure where the little booger roosted last night, but it was running around out there this morning! I'll keep trying to watch where it roosts at night, but otherwise I don't think I'll ever catch it! It's very fast and very flighty! Hubby and I had it cornered behind the coop, and was within a couple of feet.... then it took flight and landed in the pine...
barnie.gif

Thanks W4W! Not sure where the little booger roosted last night, but it was running around out there this morning! I'll keep trying to watch where it roosts at night, but otherwise I don't think I'll ever catch it! It's very fast and very flighty! Hubby and I had it cornered behind the coop, and was within a couple of feet.... then it took flight and landed in the pine...
barnie.gif
Fishing net.

My girls behaved beautifully this weekend for our house sitter, so I rewarded them with a noodle-melon pie. After averaging 7 eggs a day for the past week or so, I thought they deserved it. Maybe it was a little premature...after I gave them the pie, I was fetching the egg that my troublemaker BO lays on the coop floor (because that is so much better than the nesting boxes). Of course it was buried, so I was digging around. Apparently, I was not giving the BO the attention she felt she deserved (she loves being held) because she promptly pecked my leg. See if I make her another pie...next time I will give the other girls the pie and make her watch!!!!

Lucy laid her 12th egg in a row this morning. Still nothing from the others...
bow.gif
Almost 23 weeks old.
Editing this to say I just found another small egg, finally! It's light brown/tan, so I assume it's the Australorp. My others are an EE and a Marans, so I'm thinking theirs will be different (hopefully).

Last edited:
Hi my chickens are 23 weeks on Saturday not laid yet but one if them squatted for me yesterday. They have gotten louder than usual. Wattle and comb quite red but one more than the rest. Should be laying soon. Last night when I put them to bed locked up their coop I noticed one was pecking at the plastic that is the window this went on for 30-60min any idea why? They have done it before but stopped when I locked everything.

Back
Top Bottom