Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

My girls behaved beautifully this weekend for our house sitter, so I rewarded them with a noodle-melon pie. After averaging 7 eggs a day for the past week or so, I thought they deserved it. Maybe it was a little premature...after I gave them the pie, I was fetching the egg that my troublemaker BO lays on the coop floor (because that is so much better than the nesting boxes). Of course it was buried, so I was digging around. Apparently, I was not giving the BO the attention she felt she deserved (she loves being held) because she promptly pecked my leg. See if I make her another pie...next time I will give the other girls the pie and make her watch!!!!
Our BO is my older son's favorite. He holds her every day.
love.gif
She's very sweet, but also will peck my legs. I've tried to explain that freckles are not edible, but she doesn't get it. I blame her very small chicken brain.

Lucy laid her 12th egg in a row this morning. Still nothing from the others...
bow.gif
Almost 23 weeks old.

Editing this to say I just found another small egg, finally! It's light brown/tan, so I assume it's the Australorp. My others are an EE and a Marans, so I'm thinking theirs will be different (hopefully).
Yay for a new layer!
ya.gif
Looove my Australorp. What type of chicken is Lucy?

Hi my chickens are 23 weeks on Saturday not laid yet but one if them squatted for me yesterday. They have gotten louder than usual. Wattle and comb quite red but one more than the rest. Should be laying soon. Last night when I put them to bed locked up their coop I noticed one was pecking at the plastic that is the window this went on for 30-60min any idea why? They have done it before but stopped when I locked everything.
Really small chicken brain??
lol.png

do you guys think my buff orpington can go broody in a month or so?
Has she started laying yet? I have a broody Ameraucana and a broody Serama. Both started broody-ing last week, so guess it isn't too late in the season.

GUESS WHAT!!!!!!
I caught the little booger! It was in the run when I went down to feed this afternoon. I closed the gate so the chickens wouldn't come running back in and scare it. Then tempted it with some food, and grabbed it!

Good job, Lindz. If anything will bring them back, it's food! One night outside all alone probably didn't hurt either. Hope the little booger sticks around. What are your plans for the keets? Most people around here let them run wild.

yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
hmm.png
tongue2.gif
tongue2.gif
tongue2.gif
tongue2.gif

TWO!!
Last night during free range time, Nugget went into the coop and checked out the nest boxes. I do not think that she is close to POL. She is barely red in the comb. No squatting..... Jemma is getting redder everyday but she does not squat either. Actually, the only squatter is Smoke. Penny won't squat and Si never squatted either.
hu.gif
I guess that I am not an attractive rooster.

Back
Top Bottom