Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

I heard about that earthquake, yikes!

All four girls are finally laying. For those who are anxiously waiting your first egg, it will happen! Mine were 21 weeks for the first, then around the 23rd week for the rest. Today my Easter Egger finally laid her first egg, and it's huge! 62 grams!

Wowzah!!! That's huge for a first egg. (Unless you have tiny little hands!
big_smile.png
) Very nice color. Of all my hatchery hens, the EE has been the most consistent layer and hasn't had any problems or irregular eggs. Good chickens!

The earthquake didn't cause damage around us, but Napa took a beating. State of emergency called, some people hurt, buildings damaged, roads buckled, lots and lots of broken wine bottles! (Hope they have earthquake insurance.) USGS is still trying to settle on an official magnitude. 6.0, 5.7, 6.1-- it keeps changes every couple of hours as they get more information.

Chickens are fine, except for Freckle (gold sexlink) who has been feeling poorly for several days now.
sad.png

One of the new girls and 2 of Bitty's babies got snatched yesterday. Just some feathers from the big one left behind. We are getting 6-10 eggs a day, and some of the younger girls should start laying in the next few months.

[COLOR=800080]Do any of you have a clue as to what breed of chicken Penny is? RIR? New Hampshire? I bought her last November from a guy who had about 80 chickens and did not have a clue about what he had. The chickens were living under less than desirable conditions. She lays a brown egg about 5 days a week and I am guessing that she is about 1.5 years old. [/COLOR] [COLOR=800080]eta: she is on the small side.[/COLOR]. My guess is RIR. Looks exactly like my RIR

We have 3 EGG LAERS NOW :)!!! YAY!... But i am worried because it says my eggs are fertile but we have no crowing, no chickens "doing it", but there is one not squatting like all the others.... What do u guys think?

Back
Top Bottom