Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

4 eggs today! 4 DOWN 2 TO GO :) WHOOOO i am so excited... i might start a buisness with all the extra eggs i will have. 1/2 A DOZEN A DAY (once i get them all going)

Well I had my first animal attack. Was getting ready for my step-grandmothers burial (my stepmom was thrilled me and my mom were going...yes we're a wierd family) when I looked outside to see feathers. Thought it was odd so took a look outside and see a chicken on the ground and 2 dogs running along the property.

It was so traumatic. I thought I had lost more but the one on the ground hopped up and ran into the run once it was safe. Another chicken had wedged itself into the wood pile and is doing just fine.

So far the only causality is my most favorite!!!! My only teenage polish pullet cruella!!! Who was a smooth polish with a single white feather on her head. She was beautiful!!!! I'm so sad!!

Still missing a couple but it seems most escaped to the woods... And the others laid eggs so was probably more traumatic for me.

A risk of free ranging I know but ugghhh why don't people keep their dogs under controll? Can't blame the dogs. None of the chickens had anything but missing feathers and even the dead one didn't have any wounds so I don't think the dogs were vicious...just had running play things to chase and catch.

Well I called the cops, filed a report, drove 80+ and made it yo the service w 15 min to spare.

Edited to add all safe and sound except the one who was dead earlier. There is one that I put in a dog crate cause she's not moving much but no visible wounds... And we laid 6 eggs!

Last edited:
Well I had my first animal attack. Was getting ready for my step-grandmothers burial (my stepmom was thrilled me and my mom were going...yes we're a wierd family) when I looked outside to see feathers. Thought it was odd so took a look outside and see a chicken on the ground and 2 dogs running along the property.

It was so traumatic. I thought I had lost more but the one on the ground hopped up and ran into the run once it was safe. Another chicken had wedged itself into the wood pile and is doing just fine.

So far the only causality is my most favorite!!!! My only teenage polish pullet cruella!!! Who was a smooth polish with a single white feather on her head. She was beautiful!!!! I'm so sad!!

Still missing a couple but it seems most escaped to the woods... And the others laid eggs so was probably more traumatic for me.

A risk of free ranging I know but ugghhh why don't people keep their dogs under controll? Can't blame the dogs. None of the chickens had anything but missing feathers and even the dead one didn't have any wounds so I don't think the dogs were vicious...just had running play things to chase and catch.

Well I called the cops, filed a report, drove 80+ and made it yo the service w 15 min to spare.

Edited to add all safe and sound except the one who was dead earlier. There is one that I put in a dog crate cause she's not moving much but no visible wounds... And we laid 6 eggs!

Oh, how horrible! Glad you had minimal losses. Do you have any idea whose dogs? I don't think it's ok for dogs to run free either. Hope it gets resolved without any more losses!

Oh no!!!!! I know exactly how you feel!

And why is it always the favorite? Not that I want any of them hurt but I have 4 boys that need to go at some point!

I just wish if I knew they were stray dogs or owned by someone...

4 eggs today! 4 DOWN 2 TO GO :) WHOOOO i am so excited... i might start a buisness with all the extra eggs i will have. 1/2 A DOZEN A DAY (once i get them all going)
Way to go PM! Nothing like having some extra cash for chicken feed.
thumbsup.gif
That's what I am hoping for.

CLindz.... That is horrible!! I'm glad that you only lost one, but doesn't it figure that it would be your favorite?? Have you seen the dogs before? Do you have a fence? I hope the injured one is ok.

And why is it always the favorite? Not that I want any of them hurt but I have 4 boys that need to go at some point!

I just wish if I knew they were stray dogs or owned by someone...
Maybe you could post some signs about the attack to warn the owners that "action" would be taken if the dogs returned. that reminds me.... I really need to clip one wing on the pullets. My fence is jumpable as proven by my EE Si.

yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
tongue2.gif
wink.png
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png
TWO!! and I know that Nugget is thinking about it. I can read her mind....

I need to get the toy hauler ready for the weekend camping trip. There are 5 couples getting together and I am excited for the trip. Good friends... campfires... ATV's and huckleberry ice-cream!!

I'm so sorry to hear this! I free range too and just started 7 months ago. I'm totally addicted and certainly have my favorites. I got a German shepherd pup just before getting my new chicks so he was raised with them. He is very protective and doesn't allow the neighbors dogs on our land anymore. Keeping fingers crossed he continues to protect. Sending healing chicken vibes your way!

Back
Top Bottom