Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Lost one of the bator babies today. I am pretty sure Ratchet got it but hubby does not think so. We dug a ditch by hand to bury electric cable to run power to hubby's building. I got sunburned and have blisters on my hands. In the middle of that the breeder we got Paisley from called and wanted to know if we Iwanted a male..... he's 2 , AKC registered and up to date on everything. She has 3 males and they have been fighting, and she needed to find him a home. So.... I think I am going Crazy! His name is Harley.

Hey, you've got a dog for every kid now.
big_smile.png
Congrats Lindz! He's a cutie.

New egg record today!!!

11 from the RSL's
4 from the ducks ( finally )
Still 0 from the silkies

Unfortunately we lost one of the red today. She had torn herself laying and the others had pecked her almost to death. She was so torn up she could hardly move. I had to make a decision and I think she was to far gone so I had to cull her. So it has been a bitter sweet day. It sounds weird but I thanked her for her eggs before I did it.
Yay ducks!
yippiechickie.gif
You can tell which are theirs by the footprints. One of my favorite sounds in the world is duck feet slapping on a concrete walkway. pat.pat.pat.pat.pat.pat...

Sorry about your hen. Chickens can be pretty brutal. It's the dark side of chicken keeping.
hmm.png

Sweet dreams Cheeka!!!!
smile.png

Last edited:
frow.gif
Miss you guys! My Dads home, and has been released by the surgeon
ep.gif
I honestly never thought I would see him home again! He is being a lot more cautious and reserved. Guess this really scared him, I would hope so! I just cried when DR Storey told us Dad can drive, he is 100% released to do what he feels able to do. I hugged that man and thanked him for saving my Dad. Pretty amazing doctor. Dad wants me to still drive him to where he needs to go for now. I am grateful for that, enjoy every second I have with him.
We are having a horribly hard molt this year on the adult birds. I swear it looks like predators came in and plucked them! Even my quail look pathetic. I have boosted everyone's protein. Hearing a lot of warning that this winter is expected to be as bad or worse than last year, UGH. Hope everyone is well and has a fun and safe holiday!

Well still waiting for an egg I'm afraid if my girls don't lay soon I'm gonna squeeze them out waiting is aweful. 18 weeks 6 days ughhh 3 squatting bright red wattles and combs but nothing!!!!

g'morning, well afternoon... I've not been up for too long. way overslept and it was so nice. woke to grey skies and the very beginning of gentle rain. lounged, drinking coffee... then finally got my lazy butt up to take care of the flock (they had an enormous Pie served yesterday and lots of extra water, they usually have enough leftovers to carry them through those few hours). doh! I left my way too expensive to replace camera on the Dome's roof! it's been out there all night and morning getting rained on for about an hour. it seems to be fine and I'm downloading the pics from yesterday now. I said I forgot the camera for the ballgame, but I had no idea how badly I had forgotten it! 5 Eggs so far, only 2 could have been laid yesterday. the other 3 were in the nest I did check last night.

Janet, awesome news about your dad!

Cheeka and MC, I am very envious about the rain you guys are getting. First half of Sept is usually the hottest and driest for us and this year is no exception. Best thing is we haven't had any heat waves either. I don't like those 100° days.
tongue.gif

More sad chicken news. Spot passed away last night.
sad.png
I did not expect it as she seemed fine. I already miss her yakety-yakking at me. It's going to be very quiet in the coop now. Found out that the big girl coop is infested with those evil red mites
somad.gif
so that probably contributed, if not outright caused her death. I hate those mites. Thought I was in the clear, so have been lax in my inspection routine. Only takes a week and you can be overrun. Poor girl.

Bye-bye sweet Spot.

Hallelujah the electric is run to the building! No more drop cords across the yard when hubby is working out there! We pulled the wires and hooked it up today. We had to dodge a couple of showers but it is finished! The plan for tomorrow is to start laying the underground dog fence!
In chicken news, I got 9 eggs today. I also am pretty sure that Harriet is going broody again! I am kinda shocked. I thought the first time might have been a fluke since the Golden comets aren't supposed to go broody! My aunt has a broody California white too! We must just be lucky to get broody production birds! I am going to give her eggs tomorrow I think. She is an AMAZING mama so I will let her raise chicks whenever she wants! Other than that there isn't much happening here. The new dog is having to wear a makeshift belly band because he keeps trying to mark everything. Drives me crazy! My next indoor project is going to be to shampoo the carpet and furniture.

Back
Top Bottom