Should I cover my run if I want to use sand on the floor?

dashfox

Chirping
10 Years
May 8, 2012
I'm considering putting construction sand on the floor of my run but am wondering if it should be covered to avoid getting so wet. The run is currently connected to their coop and has a hardware cloth roof. The chickens free range for most of the day so they don't spend too much time in the run but I am trying to incorporate more "living space" in the run buy adding a few mini coops for added shelter/nesting. If a roof is recommended, I thought that maybe the clear corrugated type would be best as it would still allow sunshine. We live in VA and sunshine in the colder winter months would be nice if they are not out free ranging and it would also keep snow out of the run. I appreciate any ideas you might have for me.

Thanks!
Debbie

One of the benefits of sand is that it has good drainage, so you don't necessarily need to keep it dry, but sheltered areas for the chickens can be nice, so you could just cover part of the run. Actually they might enjoy a little shade.

Maybe in VA you don't have to worry too much about the build up of heavy snow. Up here in Michigan, I would have to consider how much snow weight the roof could bear.

This is my coop and run filled with sand and covered with suntuff corrugated roofing, keeps the sand dry, I've had a 1 1/2 of snow on it and with a little persuasion the snow slides right off, I wrap 3 sides with a heavy canvas and a clear shower curtain on the front, if the sand gets wet usually near the door from snowy boots it will freeze solid but it's the only area that gets wet. So I would imagine if the whole thing got wet it would be like concrete until spring.

Covering my run was one of the best things I did to make my life easier. No more mud, no more shoveling out snow, provides shade for the birds. I used 16' 2x6's with 4x6 beams at the 7.5' and 15' mark. The roof itself is metal roofing.

Back
Top Bottom