Should I destroy the flock?

Wild Oregano Oil can be administered into their drinking water...I use a few drops with the water and I have to say that all of my chickens have had benefit from it...I use it myself too...bacterial and fungal infections can be treated with this oil....I would suggest you look up the benefits of this oil on the internet...you have nothing to lose in trying this natural treatment...apart from a few dollars and that could be the best investment you can make for the future health of your flock...please do try it to help your investment and your new flock.

sincerely

Suzie

I agree with Suzie.  These birds were not cared for properly in their previous home, they were in bad shape and very very stressed. That sort of stress can often trigger respiratory problems but that doesn't mean they will never recover.

If the vet cannot tell you exactly what virus is involved then I would question any blanket statement saying "they will always be carriers".  My several of my birds had a horrid nasty cold last summer a year ago, they were hacking and wheezing for a week shortly after a new bantam was introduced. They all recovered and are perfectly healthy now.

Since you have invested so much in these girls I would give them a bit more time. Also I don't think Ivermectin will kill every type of intestinal parasite so that may be why you treated them 3 times and they still have worms.

Ivermectin by mouth or pour on will do nothing for worms. It is best to use a 2 step method. Valbazan (available on line from Jeffers Pet Supply). Wait a week to 10 days then Safeguard (sold for goats at your local feed store). Look thru Dawg53's posts for dosage. Find out from the vet what virus is involved. CRS, MG, MS are all very bad look them up in the search. Depending on what state you are in the State Vet office should be able to do a necropsy if one dies or if you are willing to sacrifice one and tell you what you are dealing with. They can also give you advice on clean up and if culling the flock is the way to go. I am sending you good vibes in dealing with your issues. Ivermectin pour on sold for cattle dropped on the skin behind on their neck will kill leg mites, mites, and lice but not worms.

:)

There's a small bright side to this... Resistance. The ones that ARE healthy, keep. They show resistance that would benefit a breeding program if the virus and/or pathogen is something that is prevalent in your area.

Could be a bonus I'd there are ANY that aren't constantly sick. Working on building immunity and absolute health as a top priority, and their system will concentrate more on immunity than recovery, ...if that makes any sense;... I apologize, I have 2 kids bugging me and the blew my concentration lol ;)

When I first got them they were all sick, I discovered the next morning. I medicated them with baytril and after a couple of weeks I separated the ones that still were wheezing and left the others in the hen house that seemed well. One by one I had to put one from the hen house into the pen with the ones I had quarantined. There were soon more in the sick pen than in the hen house. I've lost 4 or 5 of them, but did not have an autopsy done because of the expense I have already had with them. They all eat very well and drink a LOT. I have put apple cider vinegar with the mother in their water for 3 months, but I'm not doing that now. I could tell no difference in them.

Back
Top Bottom