Should I get ducks?

So I estimate the pond to be 50' x 25' would that be big enough for 4 ducks and it not get to nasty?
In western WA we get maybe a week or 2 of really cold weather otherwise its 40 degrees and raining.. I could just make sure they are dry and bedded deap during a cold snap.

Still trying to talk hubby into this. Just getting all my ducks in a row! ;)

So I estimate the pond to be 50' x 25' would that be big enough for 4 ducks and it not get to nasty?
In western WA we get maybe a week or 2 of really cold weather otherwise its 40 degrees and raining.. I could just make sure they are dry and bedded deap during a cold snap.
Still trying to talk hubby into this. Just getting all my ducks in a row!
wink.png
That is big enough. In the summer we get up to 70 some geese that migrate in and my 30 some ducks and it gets a lil poooie then but i think for your 4 it will be fine. But for their housing make sure its big enough for them to stand, and stretch their wings out comfortably. Do you know what kind of ducks you would be getting other then they are males?

That is a nice size for 4 ducks, and don't worry about them getting out of the rain, they really do love it!! We had about a month of rain comming down really hard and supper cold, and they just stood in the yard splashing and playing the whole time. I was impressed!

Just a thought abput the pond, my ducks have worn down a path and erroded some of the bank, but it is in sand.

I LOVE my babies. We have 4 total; 2 that are 6 weeks (a Pekin and Fawn & White Runner) and 2 that are 3 weeks (another Pekin and a Black Sweedish). I don't mind cleaning up after our each morning. I hate cleaning up after the dogs but now that I have to keep our small yard clean for my babies I don't mind that either.

I've never had chickens and didn't realize just how much the ducks poop! The poop attracts flies (I literally killed hundreds this weekend) and that's really my biggest peeve about them. I love their personalities and watching them interact. I love their gorgeous feathers. They're so much fun!

I love ducks. Below, in my personal info, is a link for a duck article you might enjoy here on BYC.

I feed my ducks a custom mix of whole grains. However unmedicated chicken food is completely acceptable for them. I used to give mine layena once they started to lay.

Ducks are very hardy, and require less sheltor then hens do. They are tolerant of fierce cold and winds. They are quiet. They can outlay chicken hens. No crowing either.

So, YES, you should get ducks. The only questioin is what kind? I like duck eggs, so we have Khaki Campbels, Indian Runners, Anconas, and Pekings. All lay good. Egg colors range from greys, blues, lt. olive green, and whites from this collection of ducks. If you feed them like a chicken, eggs taste 98% like chicken, but your baking will rise higher, and eggs tend to be bigger. Also, duck eggs are less alkaline than hen eggs, which is supposed to be better for helping prevent cancer.

I am a 100% duck fan, and think everyone needs a trio.

I love ducks.  Below, in my personal info, is a link for a duck article you might enjoy here on BYC.

I feed my ducks a custom mix of whole grains.  However unmedicated chicken food is completely acceptable for them.  I used to give mine layena once they started to lay.

Ducks are very hardy, and require less sheltor then hens do.  They are tolerant of fierce cold and winds.  They are quiet.  They can outlay chicken hens.  No crowing either.

So, YES, you should get ducks.  The only questioin is what kind?  I like duck eggs, so we have Khaki Campbels, Indian Runners, Anconas, and Pekings.  All lay good.  Egg colors range from greys, blues, lt. olive green, and whites from this collection of ducks.  If you feed them like a chicken, eggs taste 98% like chicken, but your baking will rise higher, and eggs tend to be bigger.  Also, duck eggs are less alkaline than hen eggs, which is supposed to be better for helping prevent cancer.

I am a 100% duck fan, and think everyone needs a trio.

Thank you for the article.
I don't need anymore egg layers my chickens are doing a good job, so breed does not matter. I was looking at 4 drakes In need of a home on Craigslist just for lawn ornaments. I don't need them to be super friendly but I would love it if they were.

I did think of one problem though, my kitchen door is about 60-70 feet from the pond and in full view, if they are as friendly as everyone says, I may have ducks knocking to come in...

Not likely. They aren't very open to touching and visiting, unless raised and socialized to the job. They will come maybe 20 feet away, closer at dinner time, but by nature ducks rather keep to themselves.

If your wanting yard ornaments, boys will be the more attractive choice anyway. If you had a girl (not with 4 boys though!) she may decide to hatch in springtime, which is really cute if you like adorable lawn ornaments.

Not likely.  They aren't very open to touching and visiting, unless raised and socialized to the job.  They will come maybe 20 feet away, closer at dinner time, but by nature ducks rather keep to themselves.

If your wanting yard ornaments, boys will be the more attractive choice anyway.  If you had a girl (not with 4 boys though!) she may decide to hatch in springtime, which is really cute if you like adorable lawn ornaments. 

Oh gosh don't tell me about cute lawn ornaments! I'm already a victim of chicken math and bitten by the chick bug. I don't need a quacky math problem!

Oh dear, I wouldn't do that to a poor hen... 4 boys after one girl, not good. I posted a Craigslist id # ant it has pics of the boys, they are not too flashy but they would blend in to their surroundings, would be good for protection.

I'm going to be prejudiced here cause I love my ducks. Since I've had ducks, I no longer have a mosquito problem and not nearly as many flies either. Your proposed duck house sounds like it would work very well and getting only drakes is the best way to insure that you aren't over run with ducks. If you give out treats they will tame down. With 4 ducks poop shouldn't be a problem unless you confine them. I say go for it, you'll love them.

Back
Top Bottom