Should I get ducks?

I really want ducks now... I was thinking, what about locking them in the dog yard at night with a little shed for them? The gate to that yard is only 50ft away from the pond and has the smell of our heeler so may deter predators? Or at least our porch light is on at night. Might be safer than a house out by the pond...
hmm.png
This would be great for night times! Ducks are happy to use a dog house, and even happier to not be eaten at night, when most preditors are out and about.

I love my ducks!! I enjoy watching them waddle around.I have been hit by duck math LOL!! . I have 16 ducks now.plan on getting more come spring.I have chickens to(30) My ducks are my favorite.They are messy but worth it.As the flies go i buy them fly traps that hold up to 10,000 flys hang them below coop and house cause they smell awful.Hardly seen a fly this past summer.You would probaly have to keep them locked in there new shelter for a few days so they will know thats home and come to bed on there on so much easier than catching them every night. So i say yes!! dont think you'll be sorry you did.I feed my ducks some regular chicken feed,layer feed,and corn for a treat, plus afalfa pellets(rabbit food)They really enjoy this.My local feed store dont sell duck feed or an all flock.

edited for spelling.

Last edited:
Ducks rock. Drakes are awesome. Love their sweet little rasp- they are very quiet. Feed them like you would a chicken, but it wouldn't hurt to add some extra vitamins to their drinking water every other day (or a couple times a week) or so (they need more Vit b than chickens). I would avoid feeding the drakes layer feed however- the calcium it contains is higher than they need and it doesn't flush out like a water soluble vitamin. (for vitamins I use Rooster Booster in a powder form, sprinkle it in) On the off days I put in apple cider vinegar (just like I do for my chickens).

If they are free ranged- let out first thing in the a.m. and locked up at night- they don't need a giant house. Enough room for everyone sleep and stretch a bit. You do not need to put food and water in it.

I choose to feed my ducks once a day. During the day they forage, at dusk (right before sun sets) I feed them their supper and make sure they have fresh drinking water (see above). Feed them by their house so you can shoo them into it when they are done eating and lock them up to keep them safe.

They are very trainable. When you get them find a treat they like. Mine loved peas (frozen peas, just thaw them first). Offer them in handfuls at first so they recognize what they look and taste like. It won't take but a day or 2- no joke. Those ducks love peas. Then think hansel and gretal - drop a pea near your fee and move around and they will follow you around as long as you keep dropping the peas. It will take a couple of weeks but if you go from the pond at the same time each evening (has to be enough light outside for them to see the peas) and use the peas they will begin following you up to their house. Make sure their supper is ready for them and then shoo them in when they are done eating. I find that I personally have to keep doing this once a week or so just to keep them mindful that they get treats for going up to their house at night. I stopped for a month once and the suckers tried to sleep on the pond. Hard as heck to get them out of it. So I have to keep them on their toes. Another bonus to this is that you are earning their trust and this will help tame them and make them a little more approachable. Ducks adopted not as ducklings need more work to earn their affection/trust.

Move around them slowly at all times, talk friendly to them and get down at their level with healthy duck treats as much as possible the first few weeks to help them get used to you and their new home. Do not expect them to climb into your lap. In all likelihood the most you should expect is for them to waddle up to you begging for treats and that can only be done if you do the work (as suggested above).

For the first couple days I highly recommend you setting up a temp run around their new large doghouse (that cheap orange contruction fencing around a couple scrap T posts will do fine) and not let them free range. Put their food and water in there. Water at all times, healthy treats during the day (like salad etc) with a few handfuls of kibble and then 'supper' at night. By doing this you show them that the house is their 'home'. This is no different than what we do when we add new chickens. Then after just a couple days they will often head up to the safety of their house as night falls...but you have to give them something to look forward to help 'train their brain'.

This is all stuff that I have done and worked for me. Others might have their own suggestions- just sharing mine. I LOVE my duckies and personally find them easier to care for than chickens. I use horse pellet bedding in their coop, a little pine shavings at the edges of the coop to snuggle down in and they are good and the mess is not that bad at all. By also keeping the food and water out of their coop- you help to keep it even tidier.

Good luck!

ETA: when they are in their temp run do make sure they have access to clean water deep enough to dunk their entire head in. this is essential to duck health. they need to be able to clean their eyes and nares out daily to stay healthy. a small kiddie pool is PERFECT. fresh water daily in and you are good to go. and make sure the dog house is secure- coons can and will reach their tiny little hands in fencing and grab a sleeping duck and gnaw on them. so chicken wire is not sufficient if the ducks are sleeping up against it.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all your tips! I will keep you posted if I get ducks. My husband needs to fix the chicken run before he can do a duck house. I may not get the boys I wanted because it will probably take to long. But I'm sure there are always duckies needing new homes.

If your going to get ducks, consider Pekins. They are cold hardy and lay 125-150 eggs a year. I have 6 of them that are 7 months old. It's surprising how fast they grow! If you get them as ducklings enjoy every moment of it, they won't be very little for long!

So I found a ready made dog house on craigslist it was 4' x 8' needed a duck safe door and was a 2 hour drive away... The lady never contacted me back about the ducks and people wanted so stinking much for all the others I found. Hubby said I had to choose between getting meat chickens and their setup done or ducks and their setup... So for now at least through the winter I will not get duckies. :'( I WILL however revisit getting ducks maybe not 4 maybe 2 or 3 when the weather gets warmer. I'm super disapointed, but there is always tomorrow! ;)

Back
Top Bottom