Should i have separate compartments for my nesting boxes or is it fine If I have one large rectangul

papileo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Los Angeles, California
I just finished building a nesting box for my hens, four hens in total. Just an hour after building it my Old English laid one egg, i decided to not divide it for now to see if they will lay. Would i need to divide the large rectangular nesting box? It is 4x2 ft.
I know its better to divide it but will the chickens feel uncomfortable without personal space?

I have had divided and undivided and my girls don't seem to really care. I guess they might get a little pickier if they actually brood a clutch but my silkies, which are the ones I use as brooders don't care at all and will even sit together, each raising their own clutch.

I say if they are laying in it, you should be fine.

Guess it depends on the established pecking order - an alpha female will not let any other hen near her nest (in my experience), but a subordinate hen has no choice if a higher ranking hen wants to lay in the same nest - she will.
Great! I have two bantams and two Large chickens and I was wondering if the larger "broody" chickens would get too territorial against the smaller chickens?
Guess it depends on the established pecking order - an alpha female will not let any other hen near her nest (in my experience), but a subordinate hen has no choice if a higher ranking hen wants to lay in the same nest - she will. As mentioned by Tilathahorse, it may be an idea to separate the boxes if you want to hatch chicks, or you do not put broodies in a broody buster just so everyone can have access to the nests. If you do separate the boxes, don't be surprised if they only use 1 or 2 of them - mine do that.

CT

Guess it depends on the established pecking order - an alpha female will not let any other hen near her nest (in my experience), but a subordinate hen has no choice if a higher ranking hen wants to lay in the same nest - she will.
Guess it depends on the established pecking order - an alpha female will not let any other hen near her nest (in my experience), but a subordinate hen has no choice if a higher ranking hen wants to lay in the same nest - she will. As mentioned by Tilathahorse, it may be an idea to separate the boxes if you want to hatch chicks, or you do not put broodies in a broody buster just so everyone can have access to the nests. If you do separate the boxes, don't be surprised if they only use 1 or 2 of them - mine do that.

CT
My alpha female died about a month ago and i recently bought two more hens, none of them are aggressive towards each other, my hen that died was the only one to peck new hens that were introduced to the flock. I guess that won't be a problem.....

Back
Top Bottom