Should I pace myself? Advice plz

cariboujaguar

Songster
10 Years
Feb 14, 2009
Mississippi
I just can't decide what breeds of chickens I want... I want 4 different colors of Marans, Brahma's (standard and banty), EE's, Silkies in 2 colors and Orpington's in 2 colors... then a few others that I go back and forth about... EEK! Should I start with one breed and work with that one then move onto other breeds or should I just gather and buy what I can when I can and cull, breed and buy to develop my flocks? I don't want to get in over my head but at the same token I can't quite decide which breed I like more then others... I don't know what to do, I really think I'm sick, I have a chicken sickness LOL

Any advice on how many breeds/pens a newbie should start with or any comments on your experiences with these breeds would be great!

IMHO... take a deep breath
wink.png
None of these breeds are going to vanish from existance anytime soon. There is NO HURRY. You can get more later, if you still want.

I know the dominant cultural dogma is "collect them all! shop! buy! acquire! more more more!" but you know what, it's not necessarily any healthier in the chicken arena than anywhere else.

How many chickens can you keep GRACEFULLY AND COMFORTABLY, right now (no new construction)? Stick with that til at least next year. If you want a stamp-collector flock with one of these and one of those and one of the other, that's fine, or if you want your current chickens to represent one or two breeds that you can get to know and start to work with, that's fine too.

Remember that to breed anything in a constructive manner, you have to generate A CONSIDERABLE BUNCH OF chicks that you raise to adulthood or nearly so (how long you have to keep them before selecting/culling depends on breed - something like a JG or longtailed japanese breed you obviously have to hang onto longer before making decisions than something quick-maturing). And you really ought to have more than one breeding pen from whcih you're doing this. So just working on ONE breed involves having space for a pretty significant number of chickens, right then and there.

If you can't decide what you like, why not start with 6-10 individuals (if possible) of however many breeds that gives you room for, chosen from a 'short list' of things that sound seriously interesting? Keep them for a year or two. Decide which one, or possibly two, you want to keep and work with in the future. Do that for a few years (having sold the 'non keepers'). THEN you can make a sensible decision whether to take on an additional breed or not.

It is not QVC. It is not a contest. Get some chickens, keep them WELL, give yourself time to decide what you'll really enjoy in the long run
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I agree if you've never had chickens before it's probably better to start off with some smaller numbers. If you get too many when you're just starting out I'm afraid you could quickly become overwhelmed and then there will be no fun in it for you. I've always told myself that if they become work and not fun, then I've got too many. That has happened to me before and has been on the verge of happening again so I'm selling off a couple of my breeds.....and I've had chickens pretty much all my 56 years!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Did you catch what Pat said above: this aint QVC and you're working for the long haul here - years?

The greatest impulse you should resist at the beginning is the "candy store window" urge. These are chickens, not Beanie Babies. Give them some space and time to grow on you.

My only advice about breeding is "old school," and you already hit on it: stick to one or two breeds.
Just tossing a bunch of disparate birds together to see what you get isn't breeding, it's reproduction. How will you know if you are getting good results if you have a hodge podge running amok, each acting and behaving differently? It is hard enough to get good results with a pure flock, let alone trying to track performance in a ragtag flock.

Even if you are selecting for egg laying alone, it is better to have a few breeds you do well with so you "get to know them" and build consistency.

So, I know its boring, but there you go.

Last edited:
Very good advice written above. the best statement I can make is, "If it turns into work and is not longer enjoyable, then it's too many." I have 6 banties and 28 BA. I love the banties, especially one named "Dottie". She is the sweetest chick ever.
love.gif

23983_100_3668.jpg

I'm going to let her and the other banties go to a new home.
hit.gif
. Why? Because it's not fun worrying about the BAs picking on them. I want the banties to be happy too.

Another disadvantage of quickly buying a whole buncha different shoe- er, chickens from all different sources is that it maximizes your chance of acquiring a serious disease that'll wipe them all out or make things dicey for years. The fewer chickens you acquire, from the fewer (and more carefully chosen) sources, preferably as eggs (but remember some things like MG do transmit thru eggs...), the better, IMO

Quote:
Listen to the master of pithy epigrams, he gives good advice
smile.png

Pat

I agree with the other posts. Gail Damerow's 'Storey's Guide to Chickens' is an excellent resource, as well as this web site which is an excellent source of information.

These sites are especially helpful in selecting breeds.
http://www.mypetchicken.com/breedQuestions.aspx
Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html

Also here are some other good sites and info and more good links.
http://www.mypetchicken.com/aboutChickens.aspx
https://www.backyardchickens.com/lcenter.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/coopdesigns.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Do a pros and cons list to narrow down your choises. What class do you really want to work with? What color calls to you the most? Are you wanting just for laying or do you like dual or heritage. Questions like this help alot.

Do some research and figure out your favorite and start with that. Too many breeds can happen before you know it, and they are no longer any fun, or relaxing. They become another job.

Back
Top Bottom