Should I remove eggs from my goose's nest?

amosygal

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
I have a single goose (and a gander). My goose lays an egg every other day. I took the first 10 eggs and hatched them (and got 7 goslings). As for the rest, I intended to let her hatch them. She kept laying eggs and now she has already 23 eggs (some of which are nearly 50 days old). She didn't start hatching them yet. Should I remove the old ones? Do you think that she will ever hatch them? (I guess she can't keep laying eggs forever). Thanks.

I have a single goose (and a gander). My goose lays an egg every other day. I took the first 10 eggs and hatched them (and got 7 goslings). As for the rest, I intended to let her hatch them. She kept laying eggs and now she has already 23 eggs (some of which are nearly 50 days old). She didn't start hatching them yet. Should I remove the old ones? Do you think that she will ever hatch them? (I guess she can't keep laying eggs forever). Thanks.
Hi, and congrats on your goslings. Some breeds are more inclined to go broody than others. Best to take them out except the last 6 maybe, and then keep taking out the older ones as she lays each newer one, until she stops. She will stop one day. This is a desirable trait for those who only want eggs, of course.
big_smile.png

Thanks livininbrazil.
I did the same thing last year (incubated 12 eggs on my own) and she did go broody (she sat on 14 eggs), but unfortunately the eggs weren't fertile last year. Do you think that having too many eggs in the nest may cause her not to go broody (this year)?

The more eggs the less likely goslings will hatch and like livinbrazil said leave about 8-6 eggs only geese that are 5-6 yearthat brooded since they were 1-2 can many a lot of eggs

And the eggs that are 50 days old arent good to eat anymore so :/
Goose eggs only stay viable for 14-11 days so toss out the old eggs

I just want to know should I remove my geese eggs knowing it's 40 outside or will the be ok outside

Back
Top Bottom