Should I remove the hatched chick from the broody?

chickenphile

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Feura Bush, NY
So far one chick has hatched. There are 5 or 6 left to hatch. Should I remove the chick from the broody or let her raise it until the others hatch? I am unsure when the little one hatched. I lifted her up and a little chick started chirping!

Thanks
Chris

awww, how cute! congrats to your new mommy
smile.png

it depends. you can let the chick stay with her or you can take it. i would let her keep it because lone chicks get stressed out easily, especially when taken from their mother or siblings. also, if you do let her keep it she should stay on the eggs. hope i've been some help!
smile.png

If you are worried you can place some chick starter & water beside the mama hen. I had to do this last year with a stuborn slikie that wouldn't come off the nest with the already hatched biddies. I eventually had to take her remaining eggs at 5 days after the biddies hatched. What type hen is it? Just keep an eye on it but the mama hen knows what she is doing unless of cource its the evil silkie mama hen
lau.gif

I'd leave it with the hen. That's the great thing about using a broody they'll do the work for you. No need to make it hard on yourself.

Right before a chick hatches it absorbs the yolk which provides the food it needs for the next 24-36 hours. That's why day-old chicks can be mailed across the country. It also works for hen-hatched chicks. It usually takes 24-36 hours for all the eggs in the clutch to hatch. The first ones to hatch can wait patiently for their siblings to emerge. Mama will stay on the nest that whole time too. Sometimes she'll eat the eggs' membranes to keep up her strength. Some time the next day she usually will take the chicks for their first outing, to eat & drink. Sometimes she'll return to the nest if there are more eggs left to hatch, and sometimes they will, but often those are duds.

Mama knows best! Leave the chicks with her!

Back
Top Bottom