Should i separate my birds?

Paige14

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 27, 2014
I currently have 8 lovebirds. In one of the cages I have 3 and there about 7 months old. Two of them have paired up leaving the youngest out. He gets picked on and it has been getting worse. It's mostly the oldest picking on him. I'm afraid that one day they will seriously hurt him. I don't know what to do. I want to make sure he is happy and safe. Should I separate him from his siblings or will they eventually stop? How can I discourage this bad behavior? Any answers can help.

Yes, separating them would be best. The pair can seriously injure the lone guy and its best to prevent that. You should put the the pairs cage right next to the other ones cage so they can still see one another. If the lone one gets sad I would suggest looking into getting a same sex friend for him/her.
Its not advised to separate a bonded or mated pair because the birds can get stressed but if they are in separate cages but can see one another it shouldn't be a problem.
How big is your cage?
A cage for a pair of lovies should be 30' x 30' x 18' or similar. More budgies means a bigger cage. Also remove any nesting areas or paper as you do not want a 7 month old lovie laying eggs. That's too young.
Good Luck!

So i will be getting a new cage for the one who is left out. Im not sure how big the cage is but i cant buy 4 new cages for the 8 of them. So the cage they have right now will have to do for now. Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom