Should I switch from layer to grower? Hens not laying

My chickens are not laying- I have 4 Rhode Island mixes under 2 years- between the 4 of them I get an egg maybe every 2nd or 3rd day
I have a maran who is almost 1 and had never laid. I have a silkie 2 years and a polish hen same age as the maran and from those 2 I’m getting an egg maybe every 2nd day. I have 2 younger silkies approx 7 months not laying yet.
I have another polish hen the same age as the one who is occasionally laying but she has never laid and I have 3 Pekin hens 2 are approx 10 months and one is around 6 months all not laying.
I switched to layers feed for them thinking they’d start to lay with the brighter days but They’re not. Worried that the layers feed could start to cause problems when they are not laying.
Should I switch everyone to grower?
Is it a suitable feed for older hens? Would the option of crushed egg shells on the side be enough calcium for the girls who are laying or should I add something else?

They’re on red mills layer pellets- the grower feed would be the same brand treats are less than 10%
I can't speak to other breeds except the Silkies. Ours don't really get laying well until 10 months or so. We're in WI and have five that are four/five years old, and 6 that are nearly a year. We get about 6 eggs a day. I assume it's a couple from the older and a few from the newer. They're all on hen layer 16% and even the younger ones have been for months. We give bsf (black soldier flies) 50% protein about twice a week, and scrambled eggs about once a week. Those are both high protein. I put a small pile of oyster shells in the yard if they're free-ranging or in a bowl in the coop, about once a week. They are starting to pick up as all winter we got 4 a day.

The only other option is chick crumb which is 20% protein.
All stores in my area only carry the one brand of feed- I can technically get other brands but it would double my feed costs due to shipping. Charges for shipping is per bag
Use the chick crumb if you can, even do half and half. Or chick crumb + oyster shell.

Too much Calcium is a problem that would build up over time. With the make up of your flock you would be ok to continue with the layer if that is what works for you. I'm not familiar with the brand you are using but most brands have the minimum protein amount of 16 percent. Switching back to grower or an All flock would provide more protein and asure there is no calcium buildup. Crushed egg shells would be a good start for calcium for the layers, but they will need more than just their own to keep up. I would supply oyster shells as well.
We had to integrate our 5-month olds to the main coop last fall so to hopefully not force the young ones to lose out on what they need or give the older ones what they don't, I mixed it all together, so that was for a month or two they all ate a blend. Nobody died, yet. :)

Should I do half layer and half chick crumb? Or even more chick crumb? Is there any possibility of issues using just chick crumb? If extra calcium is available on the side?
there’s not much of a price difference chick crumb is 16 for 25kg whereas layers is 11 for 20kg so I can switch all to the chick crumb if it would be better for them

Adding the breakdown list of layers vs chick crumb also in case anyone knows a bit more than me

Attachments

• 07E69B1A-8C35-4F2D-8F01-43E63292D775.jpeg
    07E69B1A-8C35-4F2D-8F01-43E63292D775.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 6
  • F489DC14-24C3-4B50-B46C-831DAA546FD2.jpeg
    F489DC14-24C3-4B50-B46C-831DAA546FD2.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 6
Should I do half layer and half chick crumb? Or even more chick crumb? Is there any possibility of issues using just chick crumb? If extra calcium is available on the side?
there’s not much of a price difference chick crumb is 16 for 25kg whereas layers is 11 for 20kg so I can switch all to the chick crumb if it would be better for them
I personally would just mix them hoping to make everyone happy. If you set out some oyster shell, if they need it, they'll eat it, otherwise, they generally won't.

I like the idea of half layer and half chick crumbles. I also add blk sunflower seeds for more protein.
It would make more work but I feed wet mash every a. m. That's where you could get clever and make mash all chick crumble to increase level even more. If you work that maybe a hassle to do first thing but at least that way what they think is a "treat" would be all quality feed. I use oyster shell on the side cause eventually their shells get depleted of calcium. I don't know if it's available in you area but I also add floating fish food to wet mash @38% protein. Cat food is also a good protein source. I hope they start with days getting longer.

I like the idea of half layer and half chick crumbles. I also add blk sunflower seeds for more protein.
It would make more work but I feed wet mash every a. m. That's where you could get clever and make mash all chick crumble to increase level even more. If you work that maybe a hassle to do first thing but at least that way what they think is a "treat" would be all quality feed. I use oyster shell on the side cause eventually their shells get depleted of calcium. I don't know if it's available in you area but I also add floating fish food to wet mash @38% protein. Cat food is also a good protein source. I hope they start with days getting longer.
I can give them mash. Do you make this fresh every day or can it sit for a bit?
They usually get sunflower seeds in the summer we grow them and give seeds to the chickens. Can you post a pic of the type of fish food you mean? I had a quick look online but can’t see anything showing protein amounts I can check stores also.
I may also look into breeding insects again. I’ve been put off in the past by someone saying I’d be throwing the balance by adding extra to the food.
my roosters have more access to bugs via the compost pile in their run maybe I should add a compost pile to the other run also

Back
Top Bottom