Should I take ducks to vet?

jaredar

Hatching
Sep 21, 2022
We have two of our ducks with bumblefoot. We have been treating their feet for 3-4 days soaking in Epsom salt, spraying with Vetericyn Poultry Care, applying neosporin original. We have started putting on PRID and trying to wrap their feet but they get the bandages off in about 20 minutes. We're thinking about bringing them inside a closed off area at nights to monitor the wrappings. I have included some pictures of their feet. When should we see a vet? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20220921_081116.jpg
    20220921_081116.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220921_085451.jpg
    20220921_085451.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220921_085419.jpg
    20220921_085419.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for responding. I cut the scabs on their feet but wasn't able to find the kernel. There was no pus but just mainly blood. Should I cut the scabs off and look for the kernel again?

Thank you. I removed the scabs on one duck but the kernels didn't come off. I cut out as much as possible. I'm not sure if I got it all out. I sprayed the cuts with peroxide and wrapped his feet with gauze and wrap/tape. They're going to stay inside so we can monitor and make the wraps stays on. This is all new to me. Thanks!

The feet should be dressed with an antibiotic ointment, then bandaged.

A tip on getting the (using Vetrap) bandage to resist duck manipulation, measure out a twenty inch long bandage strip an inch wide. Begin the wrap at the shank and wrap downward toward the toe tips, then come back up to the shank where you will press the end firmly against the shank. There is no way the duck can nibble that loose.

Thanks for the tips! We'll wrap their feet that way. I forgot to mention, we used the neosporin original on the gauze.

I agree using 1" wide vet wrap and cutting your piecing ahead of time makes it easy. I also wrap the exact same way as @azygous mentioned. Using duck boots can also be a big help. I buy mine from CrazyK farms and put them over the wraps. Tool wise I have become a huge fan of Tweezer Guru slanted tweezers that you can find on Amazon. They have a nice sharp edge and point. I can pull off bumbles easily without even bothering with soaking and they make it simple to dig out the puss plugs.

After soaking, cutting/removing as much bad area as possible, wrapping and then soaking, spraying with Vetericyn, wrapping with neosporin on gauze for a few days, the bumblefoot areas are now becoming soft. Is that a good sign?

Poor ducks! Hope you get it resolved.

Not to make light of your situation - Bumblefoot is always serious- but you should watch the old episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show entitled "Never Name A Duck". He takes his duck to the vet and it's pretty funny. When you asked if you should take your ducks to the vet, I immediately thought of this episode.

Seriously, I hope it all works out for your birds. We hate to see our feathered friends suffer in any way.

Back
Top Bottom