Should I take on a Crested Duck?

wrenhen

Songster
May 14, 2021
Midwest
So I have a friend who's cayuga duck hatched out a clutch. I want to take a female duckling when they start quacking, and of the 5 she has reserved for me to choose from one happens to be crested. This was not an intentional breeding, it just happened. I don't think it will be a big severe crest, but it is obvious this duckling has a medium/small crest. It even walks a little different but not severely.
I know crested ducks can have neurological issues due to the crest. I was hoping to hear others experience with them to maybe decide if it is worth the hassle to have one, or if it is typically like any other duck.

So if it happens to be female, should I take the crested one or a regular duckling?

So I have a friend who's cayuga duck hatched out a clutch. I want to take a female duckling when they start quacking, and of the 5 she has reserved for me to choose from one happens to be crested. This was not an intentional breeding, it just happened. I don't think it will be a big severe crest, but it is obvious this duckling has a medium/small crest. It even walks a little different but not severely.
I know crested ducks can have neurological issues due to the crest. I was hoping to hear others experience with them to maybe decide if it is worth the hassle to have one, or if it is typically like any other duck.

So if it happens to be female, should I take the crested one or a regular duckling?
its really your choice, I believe there is a risk with all crested, but I would personally not mind taking the risk in this situation. The smaller the crest, the better.
Do you have/plan on having drakes? If it is a female, you'd have to keep an eye on her, as theres a risk of injury during mating.

Considering the situation, I expect the risks are fairly low, and that she would get on okay.
But I dont keep crested, never have. So this is just my opinion based on what Ive heard.

When you say she walks a bit different, what do you mean?

Someone has to love and care for this little duck!!

The important issues to be aware of
1) she may have or may develop neurological problems. Many created do not have problems. My son has a female crested pekin, that also has a neck spinal deformity, but lives a normal and very loud life. She is the noisiest little duck ever. I have a crested pekin drake and he too is noisy for a drake, yet otherwise healthy.

2) its best not to breed from a crested, even a spontaneous mutation like the one in question

So if you have no plans for hatching your own eggs and are willing to take your chance on neurological symptoms developing, by all means take the little one!!

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have the crested duck in my Avatar. I got her from a friend when she was already an adult and have had her for over two years. She is just like my other ducks. She doesn’t have any trouble with my drake grabbing her crest, she just stretches out her neck so he can’t reach it. I have hatched eggs from her on two occasions. All her eggs hatched and none of her ducklings had crests.

I would take the little crested duckling and not worry.

Back
Top Bottom