Should I take the goose egg away?

EllieDoodle

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
My African goose laid 5 eggs which were eventually all taken by a raccoon. She laid one more egg and has been very diligently sitting on it for about 30 days. I believe that it is unfertilized, though I'm not 100% certain. How long should I let her sit on the nest which she rarely leaves? And if I take the egg away and it is bad, should I remove the nesting materials too? Would she lay another batch this late in the year?

Probably the best way tell how things are going with the egg is to take it breifly and candle it. Obviously, if it is viable, leave it. Otherwise, take it and see what she does. Holderread's goose book says Afticans lay between 20-40 eggs per year, so I assume her season is pretty much over with like most other geese are by now. She may suprise you though.

Same advice really - candle the egg and check for fertility. If its no good then throw it away and break up the nest to stop her being broody.

Pete
wink.png

I took the egg away today and it was rotten. I also removed the nest. She seems a little confused, but I'm hoping that will improve in a day or two. I appreciate your support and advise. It gave me the courage I needed to manage this situation. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom