Should we be concerned?

Swiftbow

Songster
5 Years
Jun 2, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Hello,

So we have a 3 year old hen (Mottled Java) who is typically rather noisy. The last few days, though, we noticed her being quiet. Then, observing that she was lying down and not super interested in treats (the lying down wasn't weird, but THAT was), I picked her up to check her out.

Her comb is a bit pale, but otherwise, she looks okay. Her skin and feathers looked good, with no sign of parasites. (We had a mite problem a while back, but dealt with it.) She didn't fight being held as much as normal. She didn't feel light, but MAYBE a little lighter than normal? I'm not sure, I don't pick her up very often.

She roosted normally tonight with the other girls (we have two others, who seem fine). Should we be worried? Or check for anything else? Is it possible she's just having an early molt? I know it's not a lot of very useful info.

Thanks for any input!

I would give her some Poultry NutriDrench a few drops, or some electrolytes in her water. Has she been eating or drinking? Is she still laying or is she starting to molt? At 3 years, she could be experiencing a reproductive disorder that is making her feel bad. Those can be hard to diagnose unless there is lower abdominal swelling, weight loss, or abnormal eggs. Crop disorders can also be common, and may also happen with reproductive disorders. Check her crop to make sure that it is emptying overnight. If it is full and hard or puffy like a balloon in early morning, there is something wrong.

She died in the night.
It's kind of hard to tell, but her crop seems normal. But there's some kind of reddish blockage in her vent. Was it egg block?
I'm sorry to hear about your loss :hugs

Do you still have the body? It's hard to know what the reddish blockage to the vent was without further investigation. Photos of what you see or if you are willing to perform your own necropsy can give a lot of information sometimes.

20190804_124320.jpg

I know it's hard, but sometimes doing an necropsy will help you find out what was wrong, and possibly help you keep the rest of your flock safe if necessary. Very sorry for your loss. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom