Show me your quail pens!!!

Don't fool yourself, I don't think it would take a raccoon 30 seconds to figure out how to open a carabiner!!
Not so! I have horse stall latches secured with carabiners on all my coops. There are regular visits by raccoons (I see tracks) going all around the coops and no break-ins for several years. If the latch is up high enough they have to hold on while they are trying to get in. Also, I don't think their "hands" fit around it quite right to hold it open and then twist it sideways and out of the loop. I have had great luck locking up at night this way.

I use horse stall gate latches like this:

Then I put a carabiner like this in the tongue that sticks out through the latch so it can't be lifted up and slid out.

It has foiled them at ground level too on the duck hut.

If you shop around you can fine the latches for about $7 and the carabiners for 99 cents.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. These doors are small and no divider between and I was thinking a 2x2 that sets in a saddle on both ends of the doors like they did during the civil war days and place a pin thru it somehow so the cross board couldn't be pushed out.... If I was home I could take a picture of the doors and then you could see what limited space I have.

Last edited:
You can use spring loaded screen door latches. one at the bottom and one at the top for each door. Coons can't open both LOL

Spring load screen door latch... are those the ones that have two rollers and they lock down against the door?
I'll have to research those

Back
Top Bottom