Show quality from Stromberg?

Hi. :frow

I have not... but I can tell you this...

I hatch and raise chickens of several breeds. Even though I select very vigorously in my parent stock it is still VERY hard to get TRULY high quality offspring. Actual true keepers are MAYBE 1 or 2 out of 100. I can't get my numbers that high so I'm selecting essentially the top 10% (or 1/10)... But I can see that no matter how quality the parent stock, they will produce only a few SUPER high quality offspring. And this is true not only for hatcheries but also for individual breeders. And people who advertise show quality chicks... don't really know. And then if you ask, oh they never been to a show but it's what they read about show quality...

Anyways, this is my take... I would order a bunch more than needed and select the best. Good luck! :fl

Most of the time with poultry I found its like this. Do you want good or cheep....pick one. 90% of the time you'll not get a show quality bird from a hatchery, and that's being generous. They typically focus on quantity not quality. Even show quality parent stock will produce less that 50% show quality offspring.

Also a little off topic but not really. People advertising "show quality" chicks, ducklings, goslings, etc for sale is basically false advertising. There is no way to know that a young bird is going to be show quality. "Out of show quality parents" is another story and more truthful.

I don’t show any birds or ever plan to I guess I should of asked for people experience of Is they were happy with the quility of fowl they got when they ordered from Stromberg. Just looking for decent stock cause some breeds aren’t as easy to locate local or a lot of people don’t ship . I raised game chickens for a lot of years and know how it goes when you order from big places . A lot are bad but a few have good fowl . It’s just finding those few

Back
Top Bottom