'Showgirl' genetics...please advise

msdoolittle

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
I just received a white Showgirl roo yesterday. Black neck, bearded, 5 toed, turquoise lobes...the whole she-bang. Now, how do I create more Showgirls? I know nothing about Showgirl genetics, i.e. if Na is dominant, co-dominant, recessive, etc.

Thanks for any info!

You're going to love showgirls!!!
love.gif

Here's a link to a showgirl thread where you can get answers to your questions:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=416003

Hi! Congratulations on your new boy!
Kev wrote:
"Formally", 'pure' naked neck would be genotype (NaNa), 'not pure' would be (Nana+) and 'feather neck' (na+na+). The + is just a notation to indicate wild type (Henk's calculator uses it for example). Not naked neck is the wild type version for this gene.

NaNa x na+na+= 100% Nana+
Nana+ x na+na+= 50% Nana+, 50% na+na+
Nana+ x Nana+= 25% NaNa, 50% Nana+, 25% na+na+ (this one is how two naked necked parents can throw feather neck chicks)
NaNa x NaNa= 100% NaNa
NaNa x Nana+ = 50% NaNa, 50% Nana

'Pure' can be small or no bow tie, 'not pure' is big bow tie, and 'feather neck' has no naked neck.

All you need are white Silkie girls to make more white Naked Neck Silkies.
The percent of Naked Neck Silkie chicks you will get depends on whether your Naked Neck guy is 'NaNa' (no bowtie or small bowtie) or 'Nana+' (big bowtie).
Now, you've got to show him off here!
Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa​

YAY! Great to know there's other SG fanatics out there :0)

I have always wanted one from the first time I saw one. I do not think that my guy has a 'bowtie' at all...his neck is very clean, but I will look more closely today and take pics. His feathering is OK...I want to work on getting better feathering in my Silkies. I have a very cute little white Silkie hen, so I'll pair them up for sure. I also was given a black Silkie roo at the same time as the SG, too. I need more Silkie hens!!! I lost my buff hen this past week :0( Was NOT happy about that at all.

Well, I'll try to post pics on the other thread soon. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Back
Top Bottom