Showgirl not able to walk?

laughingllama75

Songster
11 Years
Feb 13, 2008
NH
I have a showgirl hen that was broody for about 6 weeks. She got off the nest daily, but was never setting on eggs. Silly girl. Anyway, she finally gave up the nest, was running around with the rest of the flock and about 10 days ago she didn't come in at night. I went out and she was laying down on her left side, and I assumed she got hurt.
I checked her legs-both warm all the way to toes, and she could pull them away from me. I stood her upright, and she went back down. So, I put her in a crate with hay for the night, and brought her to the vet (yes, I did) in the am. Vet thought he felt a break in the femur just above the knee, but said it was either slight break or an old one. Keep her still and crated for a few weeks.
OK.
So now, her other leg is not able to hold her up (she as propping herself up before) now if she tries, she just rolls around until the crate stops her and/or I help her. So I am thinking it's not her legs.
Anyone seen this before?
Any hope for her, I should I have her PTS? I can't stand to see her suffer. She is eating and drinking, and loving her treats. She is one of my most friendly birds, so I feel really bad. :(

We've had a couple of chickens who have suddenly stopped walking - one was a Silkie who I reckon had some sort of stroke, and one was a Bearded Belgian who recovered in a day or two, I still don't know what happened there. Anyways, both recovered with a little time and a course of what I deemed Chicken Physiotherapy :) basically picking them up and exercising their legs a little - stretch them out (not too fast or far, obviously) and fold them back up against her body again a few times, as many times a day as you can. Set her on her feet and try lifting her so her feet are on the ground but you are supporting her weight, then gently see if she can take any weight herself. Maybe stick a treat in front of her and see if she tries to take a step while you support her weight. Just generally get the legs moving a little. And of course keep her warm and happy with food and water close by when you aren't exercising her. This seemed to do the trick - though it took a while with the Silkie, maybe a few weeks before she could take her weight if she stood still, and even then only for a little while before she had to sit down again but after that she made a full recovery and lived a good few years completely normally. And bear in mind this was a bird we had rescued because my grandad was going to give her the chop since she had club feet!

If she starts to stop eating, or goes down hill I guess you would want to think about euthanasia but give her a little while yet.

I really hope this helps, fingers crossed for your chicken :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom