Showing and disease management

sbienusa

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 1, 2014
I would love to start showing. How do you keep your flock disease free while showing? I was reading a forum a while back where a guy had Mareks in his flock and he started vaccinating everything and buying vaccinated chicks and eventually he didn't lose any. I had a Mareks scare and even though the necropsy came back negative for Mareks, it still concerns me. I know in that small frame of time I was debating what my options were and what the future of my birds that I am breeding would be. Now from what I have read most flocks have been exposed to Mareks and Mycoplasma and even if symptoms do not show they can still shed the virus. This gentleman still showed his birds and said he was quick to cull those who displayed symptoms of disease. What are your thoughts and how do you keep your flocks safe? Or do you just do as the gentleman above, keep things as clean as possible and cull sick birds immediately knowing most flocks are already exposed? I have absolutely no idea where to begin, but I need something to do now that my kids are in college. Lol!

I don't plan on showing but IMO it is necessary to have additional housing far from your other birds to quarantine the show birds upon return from the show.

Ya I have read that people separate them to keep a close eye on them before the show as well, but especially in Mareks it doesn't always show symptoms in carriers. I have read on here that some mycoplasma carriers do not show symptoms as well. I guess just quarantine, clean, and keep your fingers crossed! :)

I had a bird die from heart attack. It tested positive for MS but they said it had nothing to do with the death and none of my other birds have ever shown symptoms. I think it is just a prevalent thing that birds can be resistant to.

Showing will definitely be a risk for your birds, and you need to be comfortable with that. Some diseases can be prevented with vaccines, others can't.
I don't believe that 'every flock' is infected with Marek's disease, or MG. Paranoid biosecurity, and not having infected birds at nearby neighbors, makes a big difference!
I will never take birds to a poultry show, and any bird that leaves here will never return.
So far I've been lucky, and careful! Mary

I have just heard that most flocks have been exposed to one strain or the other. Basically that it's widely spread. It seems that any disease that can be carried by wild birds or the wind is a concern and there are a lot of backyard flocks here in the valley. I guess we just have to keep the ladies as healthy as can be! I am so paranoid about the girls. I check them all the time! Lol. My daughter thinks I am crazy. :p

Showing will definitely be a risk for your birds, and you need to be comfortable with that. Some diseases can be prevented with vaccines, others can't.
I don't believe that 'every flock' is infected with Marek's disease, or MG. Paranoid biosecurity, and not having infected birds at nearby neighbors, makes a big difference!
I will never take birds to a poultry show, and any bird that leaves here will never return.
So far I've been lucky, and careful! Mary
Good strategy.
I have had birds return but they are housed in their own building on the opposite side of the property for 3 or more weeks and then I put a sacrificial bird of my flock with them for several days and watch for symptoms. I usually find my birds come back with a gift of lice or mites.
Another good reason to quarantine in addition to the disease factor.

One thing some people do, is they will put a 'mine canary' so to speak, in with the quarantined bird. If the 'canary' gets sick or shows symptoms, then the bird brought in may carry something. Please don't quote me, I have not done showing or needed to quarantine before.

This is interesting. I think my biggest fear would be Mareks as it takes so long to show and it is virtually impossible to get rid of. I love all of your input on this.

Back
Top Bottom